Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sako

New Sako

hello all, i bought my first .243 rifle on tuesday from Ian coley gun shop in cheltenham. although i am struggling to find out what model and year of manufacture it is. Serial number is: 350135 it can be found on guntrader: http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSa...otal+35&Filter[NewType][]=Rifle&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Bolt%20Action&Filter[Calibre][]=.243&Filter[Make][]=Sako

if anybody knows anything about it and tell me if they think it is any good then that would be appreciated [/img]

1984 model A2 straight pull stock similar to L579
    Should be stamped on the side of the action AII

The L579 manual is on www.sako.fi

http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/

If you scroll to the bottom it has reference material including production dates

Classic gun

what do we think? any good?

are you sure? its a bolt action, not straight pull action. floating barrel and it looks as if it hasn't had many shots through it.

My .308 is like this, though more used. It's had a new barrel, but before that the old barrel was not free-floated: it had a pair of pressure-points towards the end of the forend.

I think 'straight pull' described the style of stock, perhaps? It has a straight line across the top, rather than a cheekpiece sticking up.

Lovely rifle, I should add!

how can i tell if it has been shot to sh*t or not then? when does one need a new barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    1984 model A2 straight pull stock similar to L579
    Should be stamped on the side of the action AII

The L579 manual is on www.sako.fi

http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/

If you scroll to the bottom it has reference material including production dates

Classic gun
    It is a fine rifle and I love the L579 action. On my 6th of them and have just rebarreled one from 1968. The barrel was in a bad way.

However, by my reckoning it is 1980/81 L579 - AI. I will need to check old copies of FACs, but I am sure I had one a few hundred earlier than yours.

The best ones were the 1950s up to late 60s ones esp from the Bofors Steel era.

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/Sa...sNumbering.pdf

Jack meant straight pull stock, not bolt i.e. straight comb.

If you ever wish to sell it get in touch..seriously 8)

The stock design is called straight pull as it is straight.stock that does not curve away to the heel like some.
    If it shoots well then its good.
    Alastair at www.glosguncompany,co,uk has a boresighter he may inspect the bore in your presence?
    They are fiendish devices invented by barrel manufacturers to scare people into rebarrelling their pride and joy.
    If it shoots well just clean it.

so how can i tell if it needs a new barrel or if it has its fair share or rounds through it?

dont panic , take the rifle to the range and put some rounds through it, enjoy the day with your new rifle, see how it shoots and groups, and if it dont group then still dont panic it could be down to trigger pressure, loose stock screws, or sights,,, oh and try different makes and weights of ammo as you can afford....im near bath and have some remmy corelokt 100g and a few winchester 100 if your close enough,...just shoot and enjoy,sb