Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new knife ideas

new knife ideas

Hello all.

I'd be grateful for any advice on a new stalking/general purpose knife.

I had a Fallkiven F1, which I liked a lot, but found the blade a touch prone to getting chips in it.

All ideas very much appreciated.

Traditional looks preferred, but nothing ultra fancy.

Designed these and stuart mitchell sheffield made them, they are prototypes and been tested now. seem to be what i wanted.
    they will be avilable through YDS. we have 5 maybe 6 pre orders already.

Interesting shape - much more like a filleting knife than a traditional stalking knife. Is the blade flexible?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Hello all.

I had a Fallkiven F1, which I liked a lot, but found the blade a touch prone to getting chips in it.

Just wondering how the chips happened...bones?.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Interesting design there John. I must admit not my cup of tea but everyone has their preference.
    for me the handle is too thin. I like a good solid quite chunky handle with a good grip.
    Is the handle material polished / shiny ?
    A bead blasted Micarta or G10 would be my choice, so when it got wet with either blood or water my hand would not slide on the handle scales.
    The blade for me would have to be dropped slightly at the point to give a more drop point blade, this would make it easier to protect the tip with the forefinger when opening the animal and prevent nicking the rumen.
    These are of course my own personal requirements and may not be for others.

This knife design has been given to a chap off the site to see what he can do with it. It has everything I would require for stalking roe my main quarry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Hello all.

Why not get the blade re-ground and get it re handled. I got one from Roch on here. F1 blade, brass bolster with ironwood scales and it is my go to red deer knife.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant.N View Post
    Interesting design there John. I must admit not my cup of tea but everyone has their preference.
    for me the handle is too thin. I like a good solid quite chunky handle with a good grip.
    Is the handle material polished / shiny ?
    A bead blasted Micarta or G10 would be my choice, so when it got wet with either blood or water my hand would not slide on the handle scales.
    The blade for me would have to be dropped slightly at the point to give a more drop point blade, this would make it easier to protect the tip with the forefinger when opening the animal and prevent nicking the rumen.
    These are of course my own personal requirements and may not be for others.
    Grant, you sound like you're describing my knife which I recently tried to re-do. my knife .The handle is over chunky but I've actually now found it really good for other general purpose things like carving a new hammer handle this evening.

My point for mentioning this in response to the OP though is, having just tried to do this, I would ask Mungo have you considered arranging one yourself? You could choose from many different styles of damascus blanks from bewsher For Sale: Damascus Knife blades for a v reasonable price, fit a handle to your grip and specific material liking yourself easily and then ask Dougster to make a sheath Sold: Sheaths I reckon that would all come in at less than 100 and you'd have something really special and specific to your liking and needs.
    Last edited by Foss; 06-08-2014 at 21:26.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    This knife design has been given to a chap off the site to see what he can do with it. It has everything I would require for stalking roe my main quarry.

I like that. Please post pics if you get it made.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post

looks good do you think it may be a bit heavy with the brass pommel as well as the tang?
    DONT START