Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFD near Ben Nevis

RFD near Ben Nevis

I have a couple of days red stag stalking at the end of August just north of Fort William, and whilst in the area I plan to climb Ben Nevis. Can anyone recommend an RFD nearby that I can leave my rifle with when I do the climb?

Hi verbius.the rod and gun in fort William closed a year or so ago.I think the nearest one now is anglers corner in Oban about 40 odd miles away. Its a good shop for a browse if you go. Hope this helps. Cheers high seat.

Thanks High Seat, a google search found nothing anywhere close to Fort William. So where do all the highlanders get their shooting supplies from?

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    Thanks High Seat, a google search found nothing anywhere close to Fort William. So where do all the highlanders get their shooting supplies from?
    Macleods in Tain!!!
    neil Lyon is a Rfd he is based in drumnadrochit but that's still a 50 trip from fw I'm afraid..

Quote Originally Posted by Virbius View Post
    In the highlands, 50 miles is close!

Just pray there are no diversions heading South from Fort William
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    Macleods in Tain!!!
    Thats got to be a good 100 miles away ?

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Thats got to be a good 100 miles away ?

Yes correct but he asked where people shop which most people I know will go to gregors Neil Lyon is in drum which is quite a lot closer.

Ps 100 miles isn't really that far I used to travel 50 each way to go to work were not lucky enough to have everything on our doorsteps up here!!!

Not sure you need to lodge the gun with an RFD whilst you climb the mountain anyway. Take the bolt with you, leave rifle in room, lock ammo in the car (or similar).

Bike lock the rifle to the radiator if it helps.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thank you for all the replies. Locking it in the hotel/car and taking bolt may be the only option judging on the distance to gun shops in the area. I used to live north of Aberdeen where we were spoilt for choice within a 10 miles radius - Sloans, Buchan Guns, Andersons et al so am a bit surprised that there is very little in the west highlands.