Buying/Selling Feedback

blaven

I'm conscious that I may be opening a can of worms here, but what would the forum's views be on a voluntary feedback score applied to buyers/purchasers engaging in transactions in the private ads.column?
I don't mean an Ebay type star rating, just a box to tick if generally satisfied with the deal. This might give one added confidence in parting with money,-(sometimes not inconsiderable amounts). Not everyone wishes to be paid by PayPal and BACS can be a pain. You have to make a leap of faith sometimes, and I can honestly say I haven't been stung yet. Still there's always a first time.
I'm sure wer'e all upstanding, honest members of the community and would never knowingly rip each other off. Its just that some of us may view our For Sale items with a rosier glow than is realistic.
I would welcome any feedback on articles I have sold.
I don't know if Admin could set it up, or would wish to.
Just thought I'd run this up the flagpole to see who salutes it!

Would the seller have the right to reply....? There are always two sides to a story, as is all to frequently demonstrated on here when things do go wrong, to be fair, people are pretty quick to shout if they have less than perfect dealings, so perhaps as you say, just a tick box for positive experience rather than any potentially slanderous nasty negative feedback.

This has come up a few times. There are feedback systems available which I'm sure work well but my concern is this...

Buyer gives seller bad feedback
Seller refutes this feedback

Now what? Who has to sort it out and how?

There are hundreds of transactions going on at any time on here which is great and we are glad the service is of use to our members but for a free service and with the three of us also busy with other things there is only so much we can put into administering the classifieds side of things.

Also, human nature being what it is, negative feedback is left more readily than positive... i.e. We generally hear about something when it has gone wrong. You only have to look at the poor use of the Mark as Sold feature. If the transaction completed successfully it tends to be out of sight, out of mind and onto the next one!

The idea has merits definitely but the Classifieds was only ever meant to be a useful service for members and to attract new members to the site. If we had to pour more admin resources into running it the danger is the focus of the site could shift and we'd become stalkingbay!

Not ruling anything out for good, just my thoughts....

Alex

whats wrong with a post asking ,is this person ok,open for anyone to answer yes/no as ive said before if there is nowt to hide whats the problem i dont give a monkeys how many people ask his he/me ok as i allready know the answer ,no hes as daft as a box of whibble,frogs,

Would the seller have the right to reply....? There are always two sides to a story, as is all to frequently demonstrated on here when things do go wrong, to be fair, people are pretty quick to shout if they have less than perfect dealings, so perhaps as you say, just a tick box for positive experience rather than any potentially slanderous nasty negative feedback.
Agree wholeheartedly. I deliberately did not propose a complaints/dissatisfied box for this reason. Seriously pi55ed off individuals will make their views made willy-nilly.

This has come up a few times. There are feedback systems available which I'm sure work well but my concern is this...

Buyer gives seller bad feedback
Seller refutes this feedback

Now what? Who has to sort it out and how?

There are hundreds of transactions going on at any time on here which is great and we are glad the service is of use to our members but for a free service and with the three of us also busy with other things there is only so much we can put into administering the classifieds side of things.

Also, human nature being what it is, negative feedback is left more readily than positive... i.e. We generally hear about something when it has gone wrong. You only have to look at the poor use of the Mark as Sold feature. If the transaction completed successfully it tends to be out of sight, out of mind and onto the next one!

The idea has merits definitely but the Classifieds was only ever meant to be a useful service for members and to attract new members to the site. If we had to pour more admin resources into running it the danger is the focus of the site could shift and we'd become stalkingbay!

Not ruling anything out for good, just my thoughts....

Alex

Thank you Alex, and yes, I understand the constraints under which you operate.
What I suggested was a single box to be ticked if satisfied,-nothing else. People may deliberately chose to tick it or not, (or human nature being what it is, forget)!

whats wrong with a post asking ,is this person ok,open for anyone to answer yes/no as ive said before if there is nowt to hide whats the problem i dont give a monkeys how many people ask his he/me ok as i allready know the answer ,no hes as daft as a box of whibble,frogs,

Two things really:
First, what you suggest is a bit 'clunky' inasmuch as you are involving others to approve of a member and thus sanction or otherwise a decision to engage in a deal. A simple member's 'ratings box' would provide this info without bothering other people. (I'm sure they don't mind being bothered, but you know what I mean)
Second, you would be relying on a member's past record. A new member after the probationary period before being able to advertise has no track record so you would draw a blank. In addition, If a member were to warn the potential buyer off making a deal, then there could be fur and feathers flying until Admin puts an end to it or litigation was started. NOT my intention.

Back