New Range in North Wales

Roelander

Hi Everyone,

I've been asked to try and help advertise a range facility in North Wales. The range is privately owned by a hill farmer and has been used by rifle clubs in the past but he would now like to try and open it up for public use, so I said I would try and help. I'm hoping between us all we can support this guy and at the same time provide all of us with somewhere to practice and zero our rifles in North Wales. I believe there is nothing else like this available within North Wales other than with Rifle Clubs at present.

The range itself is in a disused quarry on the side of a hill, is sheltered from the wind and is 100m (I ranged it to 98m but it’s close enough!). There are 6 prone firing points with another under shelter but you can shoot off sticks if you wish. One requirement is that there must be a minimum of two people on the range for safety reasons. The range can be found just off the A494 just outside Bryn Saith Marchog, Near Ruthin and I believe it was certified to 55,000 ft-Ib by North Wales Police.

The rates are currently just £10 for as long as you want until the end of August 2014. As from September 1st 2014 the new rate will be:

• £15 for a single 3 hour morning, afternoon or evening session (depending on the time of year for light).

The owner really wants to invest in this as a project and he is hoping that in time he will be able to provide more facilities such as sheltering for all of the firing points. I know that certain training bodies for the DSC1 have struggled to find range facilities like this so I'm hoping they will support this venture too.

PM me for details.

Thanks,

Paul.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I have been in touch and booked a session later on this month

Last edited:
Paul

I think this the one used by Valley arms gun club in Ruthin? I joined a couple of months back but missed the first 2 range days. One coming up towards the end of August which I will be available for.

Your right though not enough ranges in north wales! I go down to WMS to see Andrew Venables for my long range practice, which is a bit of a trek but we'll worth it.

Regards

Rich

Hi
Used to be a member of the NWMLA & perfectly friendly bunch of guys that meet on Sun morn's but their range is not certified to the levels that cover stalkers' common calibres.

Paul

I think this the one used by Valley arms gun club in Ruthin? I joined a couple of months back but missed the first 2 range days. One coming up towards the end of August which I will be available for.

Your right though not enough ranges in north wales! I go down to WMS to see Andrew Venables for my long range practice, which is a bit of a trek but we'll worth it.

Regards

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yep it's the same range. The owner is a bloke called Clwyd and wants to try and make into a bit more of a business if he can. So far Valley Arms, Llangollen Rifle Club and another club (I forget who) use it but it's not enough to turn much of a profit from it yet.

I haven't tried VMS yet but I know it's a good day out and I know I'll learn a lot from it too. Whether I'll actually ever need to take a shot beyond 400m is another question but it would be nice to know you can pull it off if you need to.

Back