Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First stalking package under GBP1,000?

First stalking package under GBP1,000?

Can you please help!

I have read many of the threads on here about first rifles but I am in need of some expert advice and benefit from the SD collective wisdom.

I already have a scope.

My budget is 1000 pounds.

For that I would like a complete setup of accurate (1" @ at 100M will do....dont need to drive nails in at a quarter mile) rifle, bipod, moderator and mounts in .308 (and only .308 please).

I've tried Howa (and its a cheap date), granted it will be a tool to do the job, but it just doesnt 'feed the rat'. That little techy bit inside me that admires well thought out and tooled engineering. If I buy one I will have it sold again in 12 months.

Have shot and thoroughly admire Sako 75 (playing hard to get) and new Sauer 101 (an expensive date).

Doesnt need to be new. Does need to be carried up and down munro's but I don't like skinny birds like the Tikka Lite, prefer a bit of meat on the bones. Don't mind if it requires a bit of TLC.

I'm thinking Heym 21, Sako 75 (if I could find one on budget), Sako 591 and A2.

Barking up the right tree, just barking........or any better ideas?

And if there is something in .308 the back of your safe that needs a new home...............

Cheers
    Jim

A new Tika t3 would still leave you money to spend on the rest..... Worth adding to the list.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Jim

Have a look at this thread as The Tramp has a Sako M591 in .308 for £450... Now, I don't know the rifle, but as long as it gets you into 2" at 100 yds for now, that's an action that can be rebarreled at a later date for around the £600 mark.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...highlight=M591

So, £450 on the rifle leaves you plenty for bipod, mod, sling, mounts, boots, drag bag, knife and some left over for ammo to play with at the range!

Cheers
    iain
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 07-08-2014 at 13:33.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

THanks folks. Downloaded to Kindle, will have a look again at T3, and thanks for tip on the M591.
    Cheers
    Jim

I know it's not that popular a choice these days (it's all T3s now), but have you looked at the CZ550s? No frills, but they look good, they work well, they're cheap, they're nigh-on indestructible. If you want to go second hand, for a £1000, you could have just about any bolt action you want, including those your mention. But if ever it turns out that you can't find what you need, you could always buy a massive side-by-side 'fowling piece...

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I know it's not that popular a choice these days (it's all T3s now), but have you looked at the CZ550s? No frills, but they look good, they work well, they're cheap, they're nigh-on indestructible. If you want to go second hand, for a £1000, you could have just about any bolt action you want, including those your mention. But if ever it turns out that you can't find what you need, you could always buy a massive side-by-side 'fowling piece...
    i would have have to concur on the cz550, can't fault mine, sturdy, reliable and as accurate as me if not more so, you would have plenty of money spar for the rest of the gear too.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Personally I don’t think you get much quality 'off the shelf new' for under £1K.

Sako 75. Very few that are not well worn are available at this price if you want any money left over for other accessories. Excellent choice though, probably one of the best actions ever made. However, if you need to rebarrel, it will be costly, bear that in mind.

CZ – personally I like them a lot, but very few aftermarket parts available, and customer service through edgar bro’s might not be what you desire if it becomes needed. Triggers however, leave something to be desired as well.

Howa, Remmy – god why would you… nuff said

Krico and Heym – good rifles as long as you test them, they group well and the barrels are in good condition.

Tikka T3 – good action, good barrel, accurate, etc. plastic, boring, light, cheap looking recoil pad, cheap and warping black walnut, laser checkered….the ‘wishful’ sako rifle.

However, if you want my honest opinion, I would get a mauser 98 action and a LW barrel. You can get a (ok, used), walnut stocked mauser 98 (german) action for under £350 if you look hard. You can get a LW barrel fitted and proofed for not much more than £300, leaving a quick caustic bluing job of the parts at £150 ish. There’s a bomb proof, highly accurate rifle that will last a lifetime, you can upgrade trigger units, change bottom metal, change stocks (custom walnut or mcmillan), install swing off mounts, clawmounts, rails, standard bases, etc. world’s your oyster…and you can simply rebarrel to another more exciting calibre if/when you want.

CZ550 is a good tip, I think its been mentioned to me before but I didn't pick up on it at the time. I do like a traditional sporter style rifle and the weight in the stock helps when you are starting out.
    I'll have a look on the usual interweb sites.
    Cheers
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    A new Tika t3 would still leave you money to spend on the rest..... Worth adding to the list.
    Is a T3 so much better than a Howa. I have a Sako, Steyr Howa, and Remmington bolt actions and do not believe that there is a significant difference in quality (trigger aside).