Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volvo XC70 Any Thoughts?

Volvo XC70 Any Thoughts?

Hello All
    My Audi Allroad has come to the end of the road and I was thinking of replacing it with a Volvo XC70
    Have any of you owned or driven one and do you have any comments - like don't bother!
    Any comments would be helpful
    Many Thanks
    Ed

I have an old one, W reg. first of the new shape, petrol which has done me fine for the last 7 years.

Friends have an similar aged Allroad and while it is more powerful they have had a lot of tyre tracking wear trouble. It is better now they have replaced the air suspension….

Mine does not have the Haldex AWD system of the later models it has a viscous coupling, but has never put a foot wrong in the snow. Later models roughly keep pace with the Freelander Haldex iterations.

Apart from a set of tyres, mine has had discs and front suspension wishbones, you can't get bushes for them; and the passenger window winder motor stopped working a couple of years ago but I think it has been accident repaired on the near side front quarter and door.

Comfy and quiet….still got the best seats around

Alan

Thanks for that Alan
    Now I think about it - do they have cam belts/chains? - I haven't seen any dealers mention them

Hi Ed

My brother works for Volvo in Sweden & has had XC70's as company cars for years now, he changed last year to a XC90 but didn't rate it so changed back to XC70 a couple of months ago.

He tows a boat & motor cross bike trailer & off road & in winter conditions has no problems at all. Mpg is pretty good as he alway specs the D5 engine which has gone from strength to strength over the years.

I also have a good friend here in the UK who has run a D5 XC70 for 5 years now & has very few problems.

Cheers
    Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

My mate is on his second. Bland, boring, ancient interior and depreciates faster than the Titanic and thats from me a Defender owner!!

had one from new for just over 3 yrs very nice easy to drive pretty good off road for a soft roader very boring in snow n ice just drives large carry capacity (largest in the volvo range so i was told)

only problem was a rat getting in and doing 6k damage to the seats and wireing looms but covered by insurance

Decent car, especially if you are looking for 7 seats, but comes with a certain image and some more gutsy motors suffer traction control induced issues when trying to move brisking out of junctions.

Moved the other way. Had XC70 for three years. Towed a boat, went shooting ...carefully. Solid , boring, safe.

Went to replace , the salesman was true to type , solid, boring, etc. The management suggested a trip to the Audi garage, and now we have an A6 all road. It is a much nicer drive, better appointed and an all round classier car. However I suspect that the Volvol would go on for longer before deteriorating.

Quote Originally Posted by mallettn View Post
    Decent car, especially if you are looking for 7 seats, but comes with a certain image and some more gutsy motors suffer traction control induced issues when trying to move brisking out of junctions.

XC70 is only 5 seats the XC90 has 7 but a much smaller cargo space in the back despite being a lot taller and looking bigger

You can , or could, get 2 extra seats that folded down in the tailagte area of the 70 ....I think