Thread: Swarovski Fine Weather Rangefinder

Swarovski Fine Weather Rangefinder

Hi All
    I wondered if anyone is experiencing the same issues as me, I purchased the 10x42 range finder Swarovski binoculars around 14 months ago they were brand new, the problem I am having if it rains or foggy the range finder does not work I have complained to Swarovski who sent them back to Austria for tests and they say that they are fine but I find it so frustrating when I paid over 2000 for something I can only use in fine weather. I would be interested to hear your views as I feel that Swarovski are just fobbing me off.
    AJR

I very strongly suspect that it may not be the Swaros, but almost certainly the conditions. NO laser range finder will work as well in fog or rain as in clear conditions: the moisture in the air massively attenuates the laser beam (in both directions: out to the target, and then the already-weak bounce-back). Given that civilian LRFs are pretty weak (they are essentially eye-safe, even though the instructions sensibly warn you not to look into the beam) fog, mist or rain can be a real problem, even though you can see the target.
    Remember, too, that the ability of any LRF to range is affected by the nature of the target: if it is reflective, then you can get a range off it from further away. A (matt, dark, absorptive) deer, by contrast, may only be laseable from as little as two-thirds the manufacturers' claimed maximum range. To put this to the test, I recently tried laseing an old barn, painted matt black, with my Leica CRF1000. It would not range at what I knew to be approximately 600m; the beam was just totally absorbed.
    So, LRFs are brilliant, and Swaros are stunning. But the laws of physics mean that they will not perform well in rain and fog. And, before you think of other cunning technologies, neither will thermal imagers work that well in heavy rain/fog, either! Certainly not at any range.
    Out of interest, what ranges (roughly) were you trying to lase?

Bad visibility affects all laser rangefinders to a lesser or greater degree - just like your eyes. They need to see light reflected back off the target -

Have you tried it at various ranges in bad weather? It should work at close range even in pretty cr*p weather.

My Leica RF reduces max range readability as the weather gets worse, but I've not tried to range what I can't see with me own peepers when its foggy.
    I've always been able to range to 300 yards easyly.

Ian

yes I have tried all ranges but unfortunately the range finder refuses to work prior to these I had a range finder I cant remember the make but had a rain setting and would preform in ALL conditions

Quote Originally Posted by ajr View Post
    Hi All
    I wondered if anyone is experiencing the same issues as me, I purchased the 10x42 range finder Swarovski binoculars around 14 months ago they were brand new, the problem I am having if it rains or foggy the range finder does not work I have complained to Swarovski who sent them back to Austria for tests and they say that they are fine but I find it so frustrating when I paid over 2000 for something I can only use in fine weather. I would be interested to hear your views as I feel that Swarovski are just fobbing me off.
    AJR
    AJR,

When you say "they don't work" what exactly do you get on the read out?

Stan

My Swarovski LG monocular struggles to range over 1200yds in light rain, but happily ping off a hedge at 1999yds in sunshine
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Hi All
    AS FOR ME SAYING THEY DONT WORK WHEN I PRESS THE BUTTON TO GIVE ME A READOUT AT ANY RANGE WHEN ITS RAINING NO READOUT IS GIVEN I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS THE SAME MODEL AS I.
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES

Shouting is considered bad form.

A laser ranger finder fires a low powered (so they remain eye safe) laser beam at the target and measures the time it takes to ping back from the selected target to work out the range

What do you think happens when it is raining or foggy etc???

Quote Originally Posted by ajr View Post
    Hi All
    AS FOR ME SAYING THEY DONT WORK WHEN I PRESS THE BUTTON TO GIVE ME A READOUT AT ANY RANGE WHEN ITS RAINING NO READOUT IS GIVEN I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS THE SAME MODEL AS I.
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES
    AJR,

If the moisture in the air attenuated/scatters the beam you would still expect the Orange O ring to appear when you press the button. Upon release you should get the readout in the lower left eye. If the weather is bad I would expect _ _ _ _ orange bars which indicates too much water in the air (applies to all rangefinders).

What you say is that you don't get any of this, just normal binocular view? Only in Fine Weather do you get the "orange" and that Swarovski have checked the unit under warranty and say nothing is wrong?

Stan