Pine marten ?

Malxwal

Found this on the South Deeside Road between Maryculter and Durris today. I thought it was perhaps a descendant of the farmed mink escaped/released from the mink farm by Templars I used to work at when I was boy, but their bib was whiter, this has an orangey bib like a pine marten. Photo doesn't give a great idea of facial shape, as the mink is a lot more rounded (plus the obvious impact damage).
What do you reckon ?

it looks like a Pine Martin but the lack of scale in the pic makes me a little unsure. Pine Martins look a bit bigger than the pic.

Andy7mm

I'm pretty sure that it's a Pine Marten, the shape of the body, the head and the white patch are all wrong for a mink which is the only real alternative.

In terms of farmed, it's about the size of a farmed female, which is about the size of a small or 3/4 grown cat. I'd heard the martens were on the up and up, and there was talk of them in the area, but few sightings. Just a shame I had to see it deid.

Funny I passed it early this morning on the way home and said to myself it was a Martin, verge on south side of the road by any chance!!

Funny I passed it early this morning on the way home and said to myself it was a Martin, verge on south side of the road by any chance!!

That's it, aye. Caught my eye on the way into town, then again on the way home, so I stopped and had a looky.

Back