Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Late bucks

  1. #1

    Late bucks

    Due to work I will not be able to get out stalking until the last week in August.
    I guess the rut will be well over by then.
    Will it still be worth going out for bucks or is it a waste of time.
    I saw in SD yesterday one profesional stalking guide saying that was his buck season finished.
    Your thoughts please.

    Dave

  2. #2
    In my experience they go pretty much nocturnal after the rut to rebuild their energy levels. This lasts for 2-3 weeks round here.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    In my experience they go pretty much nocturnal after the rut to rebuild their energy levels. This lasts for 2-3 weeks round here.
    yes thats what I thought.thanks for input

  4. #4
    do they revert back to normal feeding patterns after this recovery period? or is it they stay more nocturnal? only wondering as I don't know!! plus the season on bucks is open for a while after the rut... ta

    Ade
    Big bloke... but outta shape

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ade C View Post
    do they revert back to normal feeding patterns after this recovery period? or is it they stay more nocturnal? only wondering as I don't know!! plus the season on bucks is open for a while after the rut... ta

    Ade
    good question Ade

  6. #6
    hogey said, "I saw in SD yesterday one professional stalking guide saying that was his buck season finished"

    He may of meant that his cull target had been met.

  7. #7
    i think it was malc hes letting them get on with it,and concentrating on cwds/and munties /fallow,
    DONT START

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by hogey View Post
    Due to work I will not be able to get out stalking until the last week in August.
    I guess the rut will be well over by then.
    Will it still be worth going out for bucks or is it a waste of time.
    I saw in SD yesterday one profesional stalking guide saying that was his buck season finished.
    Your thoughts please.

    Dave

    Definitely worth going out, I often see more after than before. All the fields have been harvested, much less cover about, many have fresh regrowth if it's been a bit wet.

  9. #9
    having just had a look in my game diary, I've shot bucks every year between mid august and early september, not many, but I have done so. the worst week is normally third week of august IMHO.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sjb1956 View Post
    hogey said, "I saw in SD yesterday one professional stalking guide saying that was his buck season finished"

    He may of meant that his cull target had been met.
    not necessarily. I know a few that genuinely feel after the rut there's very little return on investment, some activity in mid to end of september, but that's about it. so mid august to end sept. is time to focus on the pheasants, pens, etc. and start preparing for the bird season in Oct.

Similar Threads

  1. 2 bucks one day, two bucks one morning
    By sikamalc in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 11:34
  2. Better late than never
    By thurstont in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-01-2014, 17:02
  3. Better late than never
    By vitalspark in forum Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-01-2014, 10:58
  4. Better late than never
    By KEITHKILVO1 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-02-2012, 09:55
  5. A late hello
    By robbo in forum Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 21:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •