Roe. Culls and curiosities.

stag1933

Of all the 6 species of deer the Roe-deer is the most variable in form.
No other species has so many variables and deformities.
Collecting them can be a rewarding life-time hobby.
Below are a couple which I shot , one with a damaged pedicle and one broken whilst still growing in velvet.
This would have cast and re-grown normally the following season.
HWH.

Of all the 6 species of deer the Roe-deer is the most variable in form.
No other species has so many variables and deformities.
Collecting them can be a rewarding life-time hobby.
Below are a couple which I shot , one with a damaged pedicle and one broken whilst still growing in velvet.
This would have cast and re-grown normally the following season.
HWH.

Very interesting heads Gary and HWH The left hand head appears to have a permanent skull displacement, still very nice heads, with memorable stalks I bet, thank you for sharing.

atb

phil

Here is an example of `contra-lateral deviance` where an injury to one side of a beast causes the antler to be abnormal on the opposite side.
HWH.

Last edited:
Very interesting H,nice to know that you are still about and well,even if like me you gave up on the club. Hope R is well.
Brock

Regretfully I am buggered now, blind on one side and partially sighted on the other.
Stalking, shooting etc finished.
I did have a long successful run at it though and have the memories.
Madam is keeping well and has gone to her home for a few days.
She would be visiting Jesus this morning to get our sins forgiven !

Bill Johnson has just popped in on his way down from Kielder killing things and is guzzling black tea and biscuits.
Regards, HWH.

Give Chopper my regards, I like R was Also at Mass this morning. Sorry to hear you are snookered,I'm getting the same way but I can still drag em off, for a while at least. Good luck and God bless.

My most memorable malform, not sure if the two things are linked, but when boiled out I found a 2 inch long piece of brier complete with numerous thorns right in the back of the nasal cavity/sinus on the same side nostril as the damage...... What I find fascinating is that the antler has centred itself to the skull, becoming a unicorn if you like...
View attachment 45609View attachment 45610

DSC_0036-2.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

Back