Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knife sharpening??

knife sharpening??

Hi guys,

After some help and advise please.

I have a Lansky sharpening system and can get my hunting knifes razor sharp, I mean slicing news paper sharp and popping hair sharp etc.

However... The edge doesnt last long at all, I mean, skin and gut a rabbit and the edge goes amd thats it...it's a half decent knife, its a Spydeco with a blade made from VG10 steal. I was expecting the blade edge sharpness to last a lot longer then this??

Is this the norm, I mean is this what sharp knifes are like or am I doing something wrong???

Any help or advise is gladly welcome.

Thanks guys

Steve.

I use a Lansky but I always strop my blades on leather after sharpening to polish the edge. None of the standard hones are fine enough. In fact by doing this regularly the Lansky rarely gets used. And a polished edge is much better for paunching. It will whistle through the pelt without catching the fur.
    Without stropping the edge has minute serrations which snag on things causing the edge to be dulled. I use the back of an old leather sheath to strop my small blades or a belt or proper razor strop for bigger ones.
    Assuming you're not using too fine an angle on the Lansky try stropping. Spyderco blades are pretty good and should last well when polished.

Hey mate, with the Lansky, as you near the end and are using the fine blades, I change sides every stroke. What I am trying to acheive is making the edge stand up so if you hold the blade to the light, the edge will appear invisible.
    I have the non diamond lanksy. I have heard the diamond ones can sometimes be harder to use as they remove material each stroke.

Get or make a leather strop and some smurf poo.

Dougster does a nice one.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    I use a Lansky but I always strop my blades on leather after sharpening to polish the edge. None of the standard hones are fine enough. In fact by doing this regularly the Lansky rarely gets used. And a polished edge is much better for paunching. It will whistle through the pelt without catching the fur.
    Without stropping the edge has minute serrations which snag on things causing the edge to be dulled. I use the back of an old leather sheath to strop my small blades or a belt or proper razor strop for bigger ones.
    Assuming you're not using too fine an angle on the Lansky try stropping. Spyderco blades are pretty good and should last well when polished.
    +1 here I use part of an old leather belt.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

What angle are you sharpening at,

I use the lanky with the non diamond hones, plus the leather mini strop + ultra fine stone you can get with it, I've found my knives 20 degree ish keeps em razor and retains the edge quite well. 23 degree sharpening I found it lasts longer but not so keen

stropping up keeps mine tip top

My McMillan caping blade is 18 degrees and is as sharp as a scalpel, but for some reason it is superbly easy to sharpen and I just strop it up to be honest, it keeps it edge far far longer than normal blade. All down to steel and angle and for what use

The type of steel and the correct sharpening angle is crucial, when I get a new blade now, out comes the black felt tip pen and first job is to fing the precise angle the blade requires from new using the lanky to keep it razor sharp, that's what I stick with and just strop up most times, rarely need to sharpen.

atb

phil

You need to remove the bit of tin left on your edge or what we would call a feather. A leather strop should work or a good quality butchers steel but don’t get one to ruff the smother the better if you know any slaughter men get one that’s been used a 12 inch dick is really handy.

Hi guys thanks so far guys,

however I do use the finest Sapphire polishing stone, then finish of with a proper leather strop and smuf poo, I sharpen this particular knife to 20 degrees, this was the angle it was closest too when I got it.

like I said after sharpening and then stopping it slices newspaper like butter, scary sharp, after skinning a rabbit or de breasting a pheasant say, if you try slicing the paper again, the edge is not slicing the paper the same anymore and will barley slice news paper.

I bought a proper strop and smurfs poo hoping I could clean the knife after use and give it a stropping which would tune the blade back up.......that doesn't seem to be the case anymore??

any further help would be great guys.

cheers fellas

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    Hi guys thanks so far guys,

however I do use the finest Sapphire polishing stone, then finish of with a proper leather strop and smuf poo, I sharpen this particular knife to 20 degrees, this was the angle it was closest too when I got it.

like I said after sharpening and then stopping it slices newspaper like butter, scary sharp, after skinning a rabbit or de breasting a pheasant say, if you try slicing the paper again, the edge is not slicing the paper the same anymore and will barley slice news paper.

I bought a proper strop and smurfs poo hoping I could clean the knife after use and give it a stropping which would tune the blade back up.......that doesn't seem to be the case anymore??

any further help would be great guys.

cheers fellas

Steve

is that 20 deg per side or 20 total

20 total is a very fine edge and will lose it quickly especially on VG10