Thread: Fallow buck shot in velvet

Fallow buck shot in velvet

I've shot a young fallow buck
    but the tips of his palmation are still soft and are almost flesh like. I've scraped the velvet off but am wondering will the soft parts dry out or will they deteriate? And is there anything I can do to make them harder?

To my knowledge you cannot make them harder, if the ends of the antlers are that soft they will be difficult to preserve and keep in a fit state. You could putting the ends in a solution of salt and formic acid with a dash of formaldehyde which should preserve them, but be careful of the formaldehyde as it is carcenagenic.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

If you go to your local funeral parlour ask for a small amount of famaldahide and inject it at small gaps into soft area this will preserve and harden but its not ideal. Shooting a good buck in velvet unless it is causing sever damage is never good.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    If you go to your local funeral parlour ask for a small amount of famaldahide and inject it at small gaps into soft area this will preserve and harden but its not ideal. Shooting a good buck in velvet unless it is causing sever damage is never good.
    Fair point Davie, BUT you and I are not aware of the circumstances surrounding the beast/beasts being taken. At the moment I have one 40 acre wood bordering a huge maize field, which the Fallow are hammering all along the edge. If the farmer or landowner wants the problem sorted out, then taking bucks out is a job to be got on with. However it would be a shame to shoot any master buck under such circumstances as you have pointed out, and I would leave it and take any sorrels or prickets.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.