Scope choice

Bushy

Hi I'm new to forum and just getting back into fox shooting which is mostly done at night with a lamp. I have around £400 to spend on optics and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should consider?

Regards

Bushy

Second hand 8x56 scmidt and bender 30 mm tube Hungarian ,usually something comes up on here once a week I have three they are superb for the money no nonsense scope .just my take on it a few foxs would disagree :lol:

S and B 8 x 56 is a good allrounder in my op for that sort of money , good resale value to if you dont like , good luck ,arron. sorry ! Norma must have hit the reply just before me .

Last edited:
Would nt disagree with the 8x56 suggestion, but they do require quite high mounting and are quite bulky. Also look at a good Schmidt, zeiss or Swarovski 6x42.

Last edited:
Great minds arron :lol:
I've a s/b 6x42 as well sr20 wouldn't be my first choice foxing scope but when on the 308 it did account for a few while stalking but all in the daytime !
Regards n

8x56 S&B would be my ideal starter or a 6x42 Swarovski for a second choice ! Both will outperform a variable in the same same price band !

As has been said get yourself a top quality fixed mag Euro - 8X56 is the most common for foxing and low light work and generally if everyone is using something then they are doing it for a reason. I use an 8X56 for all my stalking which is mostly in forestry but with the occasional bash for red deer on the hill. The sika in forestry are usually shot in dense cover at very last light and I've shot them at ranges from 20 yards to 250 yards.

I think S&B offer the best second hand value - get a Hungarian one as they are less expensive but offer the same quality. Zeiss offer slightly better glass, but nothing to get worked up about, and Swaro are exactly the same as S&B in low light, as best me and a bunch of mates could determine, so don't get too worked up on brands but be aware that you will probably pay more for Swaro and Zeiss for no practical gain.

The big plus with buying top notch Euro glass is that there is always a market for them and so even if you don't like yours you will sell it for what you paid for it. I bought my 8X56 S&B for £250 and could probably sell it for more than that now. In the end there is nothing to beat having the best available quality and it costing you nothing, or even making money, while you are using it.

Well gentlemen seems like a big thumbs up for S/B so that's what I will start looking for!

Thanks to you all for your responses!

Bushy

Just to throw in an alternative - I have a Zeiss 6x42 diatal T* looking for a new home. Extremely good glass and bright at low light. It does require rail mounts rather than scope rings which adds about 50 to the mount cost, but very secure.
Jim

All good advice above. Final part of the choice is reticle - I like the 4a style and have it in all my three scopes. On the Meopta 6x42 it has range finding grid as well and the centre wires are nice and fine - very good for fine shots. On my Zeiss 6x42 the centre wires are quite thick -easier to see in the dark but blot out quite a bit of the target. The Swarovski 4-12x50 is in between. In terms of light transmission if all are set at 6, they are six of one and two threes. If I zoom the Swarovski up to 8 or higher it is defiantly darker. This matters when taking deer at last or first light, but most foxing is done under a lamp so light transmission is probably less important.

S&b are my scope of choice if I was buying a scope today as they feel the most rugged of all, but if you get a deal on any of the others go for it.

The good thing about a well bought second hand 8x56 S&B is that is for "free"..:D
After years of use you'll very likely sell it for the same price that one had purchased it for.
I'd prefer an 8x56 over a 6x42 for lamping.
edi

Back