Calling a Roe buck in Dorset

Tackleberry270

Frustrating picture quality on this one but I thought the experiment with different calls might still be of interest

that was very good and i think that there should be more of this type of footage just to show new starters in the stalking game that how fickle these animals are.

cheers chris

a great video, It is nice to see the animal and it's responce or lack of to try different things you can learn alot from the reactions, thanks for sharing

An interesting experiment, thanks for showing it.
It appeared to me that although the buck obviously heard the calls (raising his head to have a look and perhaps concentrate on the source of the sound) he was also hearing at the same time, the calls of nearby buzzards and as a man made call doesn't sound exactly as a real deer would, perhaps he attributed the calling to them. What do you think?

An interesting experiment, thanks for showing it.
It appeared to me that although the buck obviously heard the calls (raising his head to have a look and perhaps concentrate on the source of the sound) he was also hearing at the same time, the calls of nearby buzzards and as a man made call doesn't sound exactly as a real deer would, perhaps he attributed the calling to them. What do you think?

Yes, possible. I'm no expert though. I have actually wondered if the buzzards are hearing and returning the calls on some occasions. I presume you are referring to the cherry wood call?

I have never had much success with roe in areas where there are buzzards, however i have the called buzzards in.

This is the first year I have tried calling roe in this wood. There is certainly at least one pair of buzzards. I can think of a few other locations that have buzzards where I have had better luck but it is something I have not thought too much about until now.

Back