Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gave up

Gave up

I have now totally given up on the Ridgeline Monsoon 2 I bought . I had always put the wet interior down to condensation, that was until today .
    I was taking a gundog training class for beginers and it was looking like rain I sliped on the smock and a while later it rained , and although I more or less stood on the same spot I was soaked to the skin, and as the class ended I removed the smock and shirt and the top of my jeans were absolutely soaked.
    I suppose my real gripe is how can these companys get away with selling products that cleary do not do what they claim in their advertising .and at one hundred and odd quid its not the most expensive on the market but come on it should at least keep the rain out.
    PS any advice on a waterproof jacket would be appreciated.
    Hoolit

Every dog deserves a well trained owner.

Gave my Ridgeline to the missus today while taking the hounds out in the monsoon, she gave it the thumbs up!, I know it will be just as wet inside if I have to carry out a deer though.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I wonder if I just got a crap jacket ,it is now in the kitchen with a bucket under it . It looked like I had been out in the rain without a jacket at all ,my shirt was plastered to my skin. And the lesson only lasted for just over an hour.
    Hoolit[

QUOTE=finnbear270;831216]Gave my Ridgeline to the missus today while taking the hounds out in the monsoon, she gave it the thumbs up!, I know it will be just as wet inside if I have to carry out a deer though.[/QUOTE]

Every Jacket I had so far was useless. Spent a lot of money on Country Cover which is lying in the corner... ridgeline can't even touch the grass prone and you're wet.
    I looked at a few companies at the IWA and will risk some mil spec rain protection. Costs a fraction of non waterproof hunter clothing. Only very few clothes in the catalogue actually have waterproof spec.
    We'll see.
    edi

I sympathise with you, when you spend 120 on an item it should do what it claims on the box. 120 is a lot of money to most people in the current climate, how many hours do you stand at work to earn that!

Below is direct from Ridgelines website, iv'e heard many people complain about condensation in these garments but never knew they leaked like you say.

I would definitely want my opinion heard by them.

Our Monsoon II Jacket is Ridgeline’s state of the art storm weather outerwear. Again we have gone for the ‘Big Four’ - Warmth, Waterproofing, Durability and Functionality.
    This hardcore Monsoon II Jacket is the ultimate extreme weather garment in the popular anorak style. This season we have improved this ultimate garment with a new cuff and hood design.
    Features:

• Our waterproof/breathable and abrasion resistant seam sealed RL-TEXTM three layer shell
    • Adjustable waist clinch
    • Adjustable double cuff system with self fabric outer cuffs and internal neoprene cuffs to keep the water out and the warmth in

I've got a Rivers West smock and it is 100% waterproof, brilliantly so. If its not sub zero temperatures though you will sweat more than Pistorious waiting for the verdict!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolit View Post
    PS any advice on a waterproof jacket would be appreciated.
    Hoolit

Sitka Gear | Turning Clothing Into Gear
    It isn't cheap, but it will keep you dry.
    Cheers
    Richard

A light weight rain jacket and over pants, made for fishing in Alaska, like Simms, will keep you dry and breath, too.

But no matter how much money you spend on coats and jackets, if it is really raining, you need a poncho, like the USMC, later copied in other camo patterns by NATO to throw over you, and a closed cell foam garden kneeling pad in your kit, so you sit on a wet log and wait it out. And your rifle can stand up, angle down, or some across your lap, and stay dry, too.

British Type 58 surplus is good.
    Pro British Army Issue Waterproof Camouflage Camo Poncho Fish Hike Hunt Hide New | eBay

Modern US Army and Marine Corp ones come in quiet, soft fabrics which breathe, like Gore-Tex, as well as the old coated rip-stop Nylon.
    Last edited by Southern; 11-08-2014 at 17:56.

one i was given off here was spot on now, but i got a my self a noman at the cla ,so have passed it on to another member they do heat up but mine did't let water in thing you have a duff one.

a pal got me one off a usmc lad, it folds up into itself, far far lighter than the uk bumroll type! and very handy bit of kit makes a good pillow as well

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    A light weight rain jacket and over pants, made for fishing in Alaska, like Simms, will keep you dry and breath, too.

But no matter how much money you spend on coats and jackets, if it is really raining, you need a poncho, like the USMC, later copied in other camo patterns by NATO to through over you, and a closed cell foam garden kneeling pad in your kit, so you sit on a wet log and wait it out.

British Type 58 surplus is good.
    Pro British Army Issue Waterproof Camouflage Camo Poncho Fish Hike Hunt Hide New | eBay

Modern ones come in quiet, soft fabrics which breathe.