Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading using the Lee Loader

Reloading using the Lee Loader

Thought this might be of interest to any member considering reloading who cannot justify the cost of all the equipment

Cheers Geoff
    Last edited by geoffrey; 10-08-2014 at 16:34.

Well done Geoff, i have the kit in .243 and 30-06, people under estimate how good these kits are.
    What method do you use to find the correct bullet depth?
    Cheers
    Richard

Hi Devon Deer Stalker, When i bought my 308w it came with a box of sako hammerheads these i found to be very accurate so i measured the OAL of the factory load and used that as a starting point, i made up round altering the bullet depth until i was satisfied with the results, cheers Geoff

Great video, very useful, should be made sticky

ATB
    Mark

Yeah, good vid. Just remember that it only neck sizes so be careful using second hand brass.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoak View Post
    Yeah, good vid. Just remember that it only neck sizes so be careful using second hand brass.
    I always think the Lee set is a bit crude to be honest. I bought a full RCBS kit many years ago and it is a much more refined system. The point you make above is a very valid one as I have known a few people using this system to come unstuck and try to chamber an un sized round into the rifle. But then you can do that with any kit if you are not paying attention.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

The other thing to be careful of is when seating the primer.
    It has to be sat exactly in the pocket of the 'anvil' block and the die holding the case has to be held absolutely perpendicular over the anvil holding the primer before whacking it.
    Another thing as well is to make sure the decapping rod is seated over the spent primer before whacking the rod, this sometimes takes a bit of wriggling to find the primer hole.
    I used one of these in .308 and .243 for several years to good effect.
    At the time I acquired my sets they were sold in cardboard boxes and listed Nobel powders, which was what I used at the time.
    As Malc has said, they are pretty crude but as long as you level the powder in the scoop, you would be surprised how accurate they are and even with a small amount of 'inexact' powder measure they still chuck a pretty accurate round down range, accurate enough for stalking or pigs at the shorter ranges.

I used to use a lee loader with an arbour press. I would resize them in my lunch hour at work. Bit less crude than belting with a hammer.
    Really same in principle as an inline die, used by benchresters.

All Valid points, and i agree with sikamalc as to the RCBS kit being better quality, at home i use RCBS dies and Lyman turret press, but the Video was aimed at members who cannot afford all the expensive equipment, By way of a little experiment i have taken six new laupa 308 cases, and have reloaded rounds using the lee loader, so far i have used the casese five times without trimming them or cleaning primer pockets and they chamber fine and are as accurate as the original loads, i have not tried loading using the powder scoop as i found the amount of powder varied considerably and i use the kit for working up loads, but as EMcC stated probably accurate enough for stalking. I often attract quiet an audiance amongst the members at my club in France watching the mad Englishman thumping away with his hammer, cheers Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    The point you make above is a very valid one as I have known a few people using this system to come unstuck and try to chamber an un sized round into the rifle. But then you can do that with any kit if you are not paying attention.

It is not the Lee Loaders fault if someone is foolish enough to only neck size 2nd hand fired brass......
    As you can say you can be that stupid with a press.

I have these in .222, .243 and .270.
    I only had the .270 one when I started out and used it for 2 years

never had a case stick in the chamber due to neck sizing my own brass