Thread: Sauer 202 owners

Sauer 202 owners

Hi all Sauer 202 owners. I just discovered a useful trick, which might come in handy. When climbing into or out of a high seat, or crossing any obstacle, I open the bolt. What I find is, the bolt tends to slide all the way back, ejecting the round, which then has to be found. The alternative is to put the round in your pocket and then after reloading, put it back in the mag.

Now I'll type this slowly.
    Lift the bolt, (for which you will have to have the safety off). Before sliding the bolt back re-apply the safety with the tip of your thumb. Now you will find the bolt can only slide back part way, and but not far enough to eject the round.
    When you are back on terra firma and stable again, take the safety off, slide the bolt forward and guide the captured round into the chamber. There is no need to remove and replace the round, it stays held in a safe way within the rifle.
    Sorry if thats a bit long winded, or if you knew this already, but I have owned mine for a couple of years and only just discovered it.
    Stay safe, kind regards,
    Mark

Well bugger me with the rough end of a pineapple. I never knew that!

Thanks Mark

Very handy when foxing in a vehicle and not taking the shot... Nice one.

thanks for the handy tip, I owned mine for over a year before I know it had a front set hair trigger Doh

So I have a half oen bolt with a live round in the jaws, I fall out of the highseat or I drop the rifle. The bolt catches a rung and is slammed forward, Handy trick provided it don't go bang with you stuck above at the business end of the barrel. While the concept is handy I would be careful where it is used. Is your life worth the 20 seconds it will save you,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    so i have a half oen bolt with a live round in the jaws, i fall out of the highseat or i drop the rifle. The bolt catches a rung and is slammed forward, handy trick provided it don't go bang with you stuck above at the business end of the barrel. While the concept is handy i would be careful where it is used. Is your life worth the 20 seconds it will save you,
    jim
    *dito*

The bolt is locked before the sear and cannot be SLAMED home or the bolt turned down, so therefore cannot be fired in my detailed look at the setup, any Sauer gunsmiths out there can explain. love my 202. deerwarden

Love my 202 and i would climb the seat with the round in the mag bolt closed over empty chaimber .slide the very smooth silent bolt forward and slip the safty on until the deer shows remove safty and slip hair trigger on and shoot intended target all done quick and effective.

When my 202 arrived from CD ( I love it ) the bolt was out of the rifle and fired ? Now the thing is if that happens with a bullet in the jaws even if not locked home would the grip be sufficient to allow the pin impact to detonate the primer. Then you would have a breach detonation as well to contend with. I love the easy option but there are too many possibilities with a bullet free floating in the chamber. Safety first.
    Jim