Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaser???

Question Blaser???

Hi

I am looking into another rifle, I have at present x2 RPA,s (purchased 7-8years ago at the £1800 price) and x2 Sako's a 85 and a 75 as CF hunting rifles.

I have looked at a Blaser in the shop and the only other times I have come across them is with some one on a DSC course holding us up because he was too busy changing barrels etc and couldn't zero. Another time was on shoot were again held the group up messing about because he had forgot which scope adjustment needed for which barrel, then took a hour to zero and it put me right off I thought what a lot of messing to shoot a deer.

I am still with a open mind on the whole concept but consistency worries me in something that comes apart and tolerances in machining etc etc. Are the reliable??? I take me two sako's for instance both with Z6i's I pick the 308 up this evening and guarantee it shoots 1" high at 100m. The same applies to my 22-250 if I picked it up to go foxing.

Can you put hand on heart switch barrels/adjust scope and do what you have to do with them, step out the door and with 100% confidence shoot a deer at 200m.

I am generally interested in one but what I have seen does not fill me with the confidence or going down that route.

I don't want to start a debate and I am not targeting Blaser users (I know your sensitive) , just after peoples experiences so I can use these to make a decision.

Thanks in advance

Given what you say above, I'm not sure I understand why you are interested in owning one? You outline above various perceived disadvantages over a more conventional rifle, what for you would be the perceived advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Given what you say above, I'm not sure I understand why you are interested in owning one? You outline above various perceived disadvantages over a more conventional rifle, what for you would be the perceived advantages?
    Frankly the switch barrel concept is great if you are only allowed one rifle but in multiple calibres but in the UK it's just as cheap and a lot less faff to get two guns in two calibres.

However, that being said, whatever floats your boat is good for you...I wouldn't give one house room myself.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

PM I have not had any practical experiences with them at all and I do like the concept of having a rifle and really get to know it. The advantages I can see is having this one rifle I can work with but this inter changing, is it working in practice reliably??

The disadvantages I am out lining are only what I can see, If they work in practice then all of a sudden they are not a disadvantage. As I say the only time I have seen them in the field are on these two occasions and I don't want to write them off just on these too instances if 50 people on here are using them and find them great.

Quote Originally Posted by RPA.260 View Post
    Hi

I am looking into another rifle, I have at present x2 RPA,s (purchased 7-8years ago at the £1800 price) and x2 Sako's a 85 and a 75 as CF hunting rifles.

I have looked at a Blaser in the shop and the only other times I have come across them is with some one on a DSC course holding us up because he was too busy changing barrels etc and couldn't zero. Another time was on shoot were again held the group up messing about because he had forgot which scope adjustment needed for which barrel, then took a hour to zero and it put me right off I thought what a lot of messing to shoot a deer.

I am still with a open mind on the whole concept but consistency worries me in something that comes apart and tolerances in machining etc etc. Are the reliable??? I take me two sako's for instance both with Z6i's I pick the 308 up this evening and guarantee it shoots 1" high at 100m. The same applies to my 22-250 if I picked it up to go foxing.

Can you put hand on heart switch barrels/adjust scope and do what you have to do with them, step out the door and with 100% confidence shoot a deer at 200m.

I am generally interested in one but what I have seen does not fill me with the confidence or going down that route.

I don't want to start a debate and I am not targeting Blaser users (I know your sensitive) , just after peoples experiences so I can use these to make a decision.

Thanks in advance

Pulling up a chair,this will be good
    Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a 'orrible c@#t, me.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Frankly the switch barrel concept is great if you are only allowed one rifle but in multiple calibres but in the UK it's just as cheap and a lot less faff to get two guns in two calibres.

However, that being said, whatever floats your boat is good for you...I wouldn't give one house room myself.
    Thanks, I guess I just feel I may be missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by mark-joppa View Post
    Pulling up a chair,this will be good
    Room for one more? I've brought you a top up
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I have just bought my first rifle and made the decision that I wanted a switch barrel. I cannot afford a Blaser and settled for a Mauser M03. The club gun is an R8 - the barrels are constantly being swapped between 30-06 and .308 depending on who is using them. There is a Z6i for the 30-06 and a Z4i for the .308. I have not seen either configuration not return to zero. Paul, the range owner took the R8 to Africa and it zeroed out of the case when he checked before his first hunt.

The R8 has had thousands of rounds through it.

Unlike me (I want one rifle with may be eventually 3 barrels) you are obviously into owning nice rifles - so why a switch barrel - I'm probably missing something but that's down to my age.

Also pitched my chair -
    Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

Nothing wrong with the rifle it is the nut behind the butt that caused you problems on the occasions that you mention. I've seen similar situations all too often to those that you describe with fixed barrel rifles and stupid shooters. Some guys simply don't have the brains to operate a spud gun.

Saying that I'm not a fan of the Blaser system myself but I have to admit that it works and they shoot very well indeed normally. My own choice of switch barrel rifle would be slightly different if I were looking for one but possibly from the same group of companies.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

My take on switch barrels is that they are wonderful for when you need a bigger calibre for bigger game for a trip once or twice a year - ie you have a 243 set up for your every day stalking, but a 9.3x62 for your annual pig hunt. If you are regularly needing say a Foxing rifle and a stalking rifle you are probably better off two different setups, each setup for their specific job. So a heavy-ish barreled 22-250 with a powerful scope and bipod etc with which to take foxes out to 250 yds and then a sported weight deer calibre for stalking needs.

in terms of familiarity, our brains are certainly capable of becoming familiar with two or three different rifles -just takes a bit of time on the range or dry firing.