Thread: My, they grow up fast......

My, they grow up fast......

Charlie, my son, turned 16 a few weeks ago and today started a joinery apprenticeship.

That can't be right, surely? It doesn't seem like two minutes since he was only so high, and now he's taller than me, has feet big enough to borrow my boots, and sounds like he should be in the bass section when he grunts "ello" down the phone at me (.....and none of this stopped his Mum fretting that he'd get off the train at the right stop this morning..... Think that must be in the Mum job description. )

From this a few years ago:
    Attachment 45689

To this:
    Attachment 45690

Charlie is mad keen on shooting and after obtaining both SGC and FAC last year, successfully stalked and shot his first deer - a red hind - shortly afterwards. He started coming beating when he was 7, and is now not too shabby with both rifle and shotgun. He is as enthusiastic about nailing bunnies with the air rifle as he is about decoying pigeons as he is about lamping foxes as he is about walking up for pheasants, and thanks to a couple of generous SD members, he has had a crack at fallow (no luck!), and has had an invite out for roe in the doe season. He's a great shooting companion to have.

I'm feeling quite proud of him today - despite the fact that when he says "I'm off to work", it makes me feel old....!

Two things have crossed my mind today though:
    1) With youngsters like him - and I know that there must be other SD members with equally keen offspring, be that son or daughter (my daughter isn't bothered about shooting but will quite happily eat what I bring home) - I feel fairly confident that the future of our pastime is in pretty good shape.
    2) Once he has some money in the bank, he can start to pay for his own bl**dy cartridges!!!!!!

ATB,

Merlin ('Dad')
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

No 2 will not happen, having a son who is a ex game keeper and earns more than me now, I still hear those words , how much ammo do you have dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    No 2 will not happen, having a son who is a ex game keeper and earns more than me now, I still hear those words , how much ammo do you have dad.

That's a gamekeeper thing Taff.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    my oldest girl is just getting into covert shooting (the tree hugger wife has no idea she likes and has been shooting with dad )

and i bet if she like it NO: 2 will not happen here either

bob.

nivce going and the best of luck to him
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    my oldest girl is just getting into covert shooting (the tree hugger wife has no idea she likes and has been shooting with dad )

and i bet if she like it NO: 2 will not happen here either

bob.

nivce going and the best of luck to him
    your,l be for it Bob.....! :-)

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Good to see the youngsters taking up what we have all loved.
    My eldest girl(nearly 30 now) is pigeon shooting and lamping crazy to the point where she would nag and nag until I took her out.She also became a good .22 shot and apparently is moving home when I get another keepers job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookingfat View Post
    your,l be for it Bob.....! :-)
    Hi Tony

shannon shot a thumb hole 5 shot group at 100 yards on the range at work the other afternoon mate first time she had ever shot a rifle (the 6mmbr) must be a chip of the old fella.

so i can't be her DAD

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Aye im lucky my 12 year old daughter loves everything outdoors,she keeps ferrets and had her out on the boat fishing for mackeral last weekend,she can hit an on end shotgun cartridge at 50 yards with the .22 time after time ,had her shooting my 22/250 during the holidays and shes nipping my head for a 410 shotgun.Had her out stalking roe we got a buck left it for 15 min and upon returning to it she says to me quick dad gimmi the gun,i said what for ,her theres a bloody magpie pecking at my deer.lol she never got the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin;831862.......snip....
    [B
    2)[/B] Once he has some money in the bank, he can start to pay for his own bl**dy cartridges!!!!!!

ATB,

Merlin ('Dad')
    HA - that will happen the day after world peace!

congrats on raising a sporting young man.

The he sad part comes next, when all the sudden he is not your little boy to be guided, but becomes a full grown man on his own. I am glad I got to take my own son out as often as I did. Now that he is in University, he comes home to visit, but rarely long enough to hunt.