Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: In the market for a knife

  1. #1

    In the market for a knife

    I like the Ray Mears Woodlore knife but it is very expensive.

    What are your views on these.

    Bear Blades | Classic Bushcraft Knife

  2. #2
    Certain knives are way over priced, you pay for the name not the knife, bear knives are a good brand, I personally don,t like D2 , it can be over tempered easily so end up with a brittle edge which will chip, have a look on blade forums.com fixed blade sales, a lot of top quality customs for the same price.

  3. #3
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    7,000
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    It would be useful to know a little more about the purpose of the knife in question. Is it for gralloching, bushcraft, larderwork?? Do you want custom or off-the-shelf? Also some idea of budget would help.

    There are lots of good knives out there, but a fair few bad ones as well. I have knives that are great...but not for stalking.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  4. #4
    I use a Fallkniven F1 for everything and love it. It is very robust and practical though not too easy on the eye I guess. It has quite a large, but very sturdy, blade and that might be the only downside if you do a lot of "small" stuff with it. In my view I'll never need another knife, unless I manage to lose it when I'll buy another one the same.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/




  5. #5
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    7,000
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I use a Fallkniven F1 for everything and love it. It is very robust and practical though not too easy on the eye I guess. It has quite a large, but very sturdy, blade and that might be the only downside if you do a lot of "small" stuff with it. In my view I'll never need another knife, unless I manage to lose it when I'll buy another one the same.
    Lovely knives. If you want to make it easier on the eye you could get it custom handled
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  6. #6
    No direct experience of them - but as it appears* the Mr Grylls Corporate Empire has recently 'requested' they cease using the rather unique and never encountered anywhere else name of 'Bear' one is tempted just to support them on principle!

    that aside, Willie asks some useful questions in terms of what you envisage doing with the knife etc.

    * per recent post on BCUK
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017




  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    No direct experience of them - but as it appears* the Mr Grylls Corporate Empire has recently 'requested' they cease using the rather unique and never encountered anywhere else name of 'Bear' one is tempted just to support them on principle!
    It was his attack dog lawyers that got involved, and according to latest tweets on Bear Blades' FB page, Grylls has called them off now...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    I like the Ray Mears Woodlore knife but it is very expensive.

    What are your views on these.

    Bear Blades | Classic Bushcraft Knife

    they are ok and for the price a good deal

    Not my choice of steel for a zero ground scandi then again I dont like D2 in general

  9. #9
    A Wright Son 700 Rosewood Handled Bushcraft Knife

    i have once of these, very nice and keeps a good edge, a lot of knife for £119
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    It would be useful to know a little more about the purpose of the knife in question. Is it for gralloching, bushcraft, larderwork?? Do you want custom or off-the-shelf? Also some idea of budget would help.

    There are lots of good knives out there, but a fair few bad ones as well. I have knives that are great...but not for stalking.
    Bushcraft and the odd bit of gralloching. No larder work. I am after something practical. I like the look of the Bear knife and wondered if it is any good. I don't want to spend more than £100 though. Happy to buy second hand.

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Mora companion knife safety orange & roe knife deal & curved 6" boner knife
    By shrek1 in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2014, 19:19
  2. A little market research
    By philip in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 18-02-2014, 17:57
  3. A little market research
    By JAYB in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 16-02-2014, 17:35
  4. T3 after market stocks
    By new forest in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31-01-2011, 20:42
  5. After market stocks
    By splash in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-11-2008, 23:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •