In the market for a knife

Certain knives are way over priced, you pay for the name not the knife, bear knives are a good brand, I personally don,t like D2 , it can be over tempered easily so end up with a brittle edge which will chip, have a look on blade forums.com fixed blade sales, a lot of top quality customs for the same price.

It would be useful to know a little more about the purpose of the knife in question. Is it for gralloching, bushcraft, larderwork?? Do you want custom or off-the-shelf? Also some idea of budget would help.

There are lots of good knives out there, but a fair few bad ones as well. I have knives that are great...but not for stalking.

I use a Fallkniven F1 for everything and love it. It is very robust and practical though not too easy on the eye I guess. It has quite a large, but very sturdy, blade and that might be the only downside if you do a lot of "small" stuff with it. In my view I'll never need another knife, unless I manage to lose it when I'll buy another one the same.

I use a Fallkniven F1 for everything and love it. It is very robust and practical though not too easy on the eye I guess. It has quite a large, but very sturdy, blade and that might be the only downside if you do a lot of "small" stuff with it. In my view I'll never need another knife, unless I manage to lose it when I'll buy another one the same.

Lovely knives. If you want to make it easier on the eye you could get it custom handled :D

No direct experience of them - but as it appears* the Mr Grylls Corporate Empire has recently 'requested' they cease using the rather unique and never encountered anywhere else name of 'Bear' one is tempted just to support them on principle! :D

that aside, Willie asks some useful questions in terms of what you envisage doing with the knife etc.

* per recent post on BCUK

No direct experience of them - but as it appears* the Mr Grylls Corporate Empire has recently 'requested' they cease using the rather unique and never encountered anywhere else name of 'Bear' one is tempted just to support them on principle!

It was his attack dog lawyers that got involved, and according to latest tweets on Bear Blades' FB page, Grylls has called them off now...

It would be useful to know a little more about the purpose of the knife in question. Is it for gralloching, bushcraft, larderwork?? Do you want custom or off-the-shelf? Also some idea of budget would help.

There are lots of good knives out there, but a fair few bad ones as well. I have knives that are great...but not for stalking.

Bushcraft and the odd bit of gralloching. No larder work. I am after something practical. I like the look of the Bear knife and wondered if it is any good. I don't want to spend more than £100 though. Happy to buy second hand.

It was his attack dog lawyers that got involved, and according to latest tweets on Bear Blades' FB page, Grylls has called them off now...

Yes, probably because his case is wholly without merit and he would end up with a costs order against him.

I wonder if he will go after the Chicago Bears? No thought not.

However, Rupert & Paddington are probably sh*tting bricks over their careers now!

Very good.

But given the stratospheric rise in London house prices I would have thought that Paddington could afford some pretty good lawyers of his own, assuming he still lives in Wimbledon that is.

Very good.

But given the stratospheric rise in London house prices I would have thought that Paddington could afford some pretty good lawyers of his own, assuming he still lives in Wimbledon that is.

He makes a fortune over the 2 weeks of tennis as he rents his house out to some of the players - greedy g*t

A Wright Son 700 Rosewood Handled Bushcraft Knife

i have once of these, very nice and keeps a good edge, a lot of knife for £119

Agreed. I've got one and I can't fault it. Excellent quality blade and the edge came finished to a very high standard. Makes a perfectly good gralloching knife and will probably outlive more than one owner.
The only downside is the sheath quality. Its good leather and structurally sound but the stitching is decidedly scruffy. Minor detail I suppose as it does the job but its far from pretty. Personally I'm not a fan of these survivalist sheaths with the square profile and the fire striker pocket. Makes you look like a bit of a Billy Bushcraft dork and not wildly practical even if you are one of the 0.1% who are actually going to use it. Give me a proper sheath any day.

I've got an original ray mears knife 'and a clone copy the copy is normally my go to knife'little bit thick maybe in the blade and I've recently reground the handle was to thick for my hands but it holds an edge'and does what I want from it.

Bushcraft and the odd bit of gralloching. No larder work. I am after something practical. I like the look of the Bear knife and wondered if it is any good. I don't want to spend more than £100 though. Happy to buy second hand.

Not the best for deer work D2 tho nealry stainless is chippy and the Scandi edge zero Ground will give the weakest edge if it hits bone etc handle is alos walnut and not stabilised so not steralisable if thats a factor

Ok for bushcrafting as zero ground is a Woodworking grind again may suffer if fine carving in hard knotty wood with edge chipping a micro bevel will help a little

In which case I'd personally go with caorach's suggestion of a Fallkniven F1. New they are just over your budget but you can pick them up secondhand for £75 or thereabouts - they come up pretty frequently on British Blades or you can place a Wanted ad.....

The Enzo Trapper is another good option - Heinnie Haynes have a variety for under your budget price in both D2 and N690.

Finally, how about a Boker? Either the Bushcraft at under £50 or the Arbolito El Trampero at a shade under £80, again both from Heinnies. I confess that I don't have either, but the Boker knives that I do have I am very happy with.

When it comes to different steels all I would say is that I've got knives in a whole variety of different steels and I'd be hard pushed to tell one steel from another!

Back