Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hangfire issue bolt or ammo ?

Hangfire issue bolt or ammo ?

had a range session the other day with my Browning A-bolt .270 I had four bullets not go off out of the 20 I fired .

Now I know from time to time you get a bad batch of ammo , so I went to purchase some more at Grahams in Castle street Inverness and just mentioned that I had four misfires from a box of Norma 110gr that I purchased the day before but before I could say can I get another box he went into a speel that he wanted to charge me 50 to repair the bolt in my rifle.

Up until now I have not had any issues with the rifle and it has fired straight away everytime with some very very good results and I had a mate that had a bad batch of Norma from there in the past infact I have stopped buying my .22 subs from there as I had around twenty duds in one box of 50 (i know common with .22)

I am planning on getting another box just to make sure before I get the bolt checked just wondering what your thoughts are ??

Tull.

pretty sure its just the ammo i had a similar issue with a box of cci br2 primers. to be sure strip and give bolt/ firing pin a good de gunge and inspect. Not sure on the abolt but on a the remmys and howas you can relax the firing pin to see if it protrudes from the firning pin hole to check alignment.

Tull

In very nearly 50 years of shooting factory centre fire rifle ammunition, I have only had one instance where the ammunition was at fault. In this one instance the round would not chamber in an unmodified factory rifle.

I suggest in the first instance you strip the bolt down and clean it. Secondly that you clean the chamber and bolt lug recess of your rifle. Then try the rifle again. If you've still got issues, then take it to a rifle smith.

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    pretty sure its just the ammo i had a similar issue with a box of cci br2 primers. to be sure strip and give bolt/ firing pin a good de gunge and inspect. Not sure on the abolt but on a the remmys and howas you can relax the firing pin to see if it protrudes from the firning pin hole to check alignment.
    Thank you , I am not sure how to split my bolt on the .270 on the Howa .243 it is quite easy to check but I have not been able to release the firing pin on my A-Bolt

thankyou ?? decided not to try it myself and let someone who knows what they are doing to either show me or do it for me lol I know am chicken but cleaning the rifle is as far as I wanna trust
    Last edited by Tulloch; 12-08-2014 at 10:18.

Tully
    I have an ultrasonic cleaning tank that would take your bolt without disassembly. If you want to wash it out before paying hard earned cash for a gunsmith to do it just get in touch. It is probably just full of crud & a wash/ blow out /relube could possibly cure it.

Ian

if a good strike is presented on the primer then it is the ammo at fault and in the past I had had issues with surplus with duff primers but not had problems personally with commercial hunting ammo. In reloading I have also have have a bad batch of old stock primers that promply went back but have you got any fired cases to put a picture up of the struck primers?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul at Fechan View Post
    if a good strike is presented on the primer then it is the ammo at fault and in the past I had had issues with surplus with duff primers but not had problems personally with commercial hunting ammo. In reloading I have also have have a bad batch of old stock primers that promply went back but have you got any fired cases to put a picture up of the struck primers?
    Paul it was weird , the first bullet out the box never went off then it shot fine for 5 shots then had the issue again and then shot perfect for further six shots , then two never went off 1 after the other then worked fine for the rest of the box ,

on the misfire's was there a good strike on the primer though?