Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marlin Trigger Happy Kit

Thumbs up Marlin Trigger Happy Kit

Finally got around to sorting out the trigger on my 1895 .45-70 last night. I also have 1894 .357 and .44 rifles bought from South Yorks Shooting back in the day and both fitted with the Trigger Happy kit by them from new so in comparison to those rifles the .45-70 trigger has always felt horrible (6lb pull and all loose and floppy)

Anyway... I took my time making sure I chose a perfectly fitting screwdriver bit for each screw (I've ruined a screw in a marlin before so was extra cautious!). 40 minutes following this guide and all done.

Also took the opportunity to fit the one piece ejector too for a bit of extra reliability.

Tested with the trigger pull gauge and consistently and crisply breaking at a hair under 3lbs which is just fine by me and no more rattly floppiness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1678.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	45726 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	355.5 KB 
ID:	45727 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1682.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	407.7 KB 
ID:	45728 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1683.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	45729 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1686.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	45730

Steady on Alex, we don't get many Red Indians up in the highlands you know, and on the side of heartbreak ridge you would have a problem with getting the waggons in a circle Even senior guide had a problem last year with nugget on the side of that hill dragging a good stag off
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Finally got around to sorting out the trigger on my 1895 .45-70 last night. I also have 1894 .357 and .44 rifles bought from South Yorks Shooting back in the day and both fitted with the Trigger Happy kit by them from new so in comparison to those rifles the .45-70 trigger has always felt horrible (6lb pull and all loose and floppy)

Anyway... I took my time making sure I chose a perfectly fitting screwdriver bit for each screw (I've ruined a screw in a marlin before so was extra cautious!). 40 minutes following this guide and all done.

Also took the opportunity to fit the one piece ejector too for a bit of extra reliability.

Tested with the trigger pull gauge and consistently and crisply breaking at a hair under 3lbs which is just fine by me and no more rattly floppiness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1678.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	45726 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	355.5 KB 
ID:	45727 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1682.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	407.7 KB 
ID:	45728 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1683.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	45729 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1686.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	45730
    I've been looking at after market triggers for my 1895 , I might have to try this out . By the way , nice rifle . You should bring it here and hunt some big , toothy things with it

AB

Not to hi-jack your thread , but I just installed an XS express scout scope mount on a bubba'd No 5 Lee Enfield .I may be mistaken , but yours looks to be an XS mount . If it is , how has the mount worked for you ?

Thanks AB
    Last edited by alberta boy; 12-08-2014 at 23:01.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Steady on Alex, we don't get many Red Indians up in the highlands you know, and on the side of heartbreak ridge you would have a problem with getting the waggons in a circle Even senior guide had a problem last year with nugget on the side of that hill dragging a good stag off
    According to those silly Scottish laws a 350 grain bullet doing 1920 fps isn't sufficient for deer . Even if I could load it to 2,400 fps it would probably rip my shoulder off so the rifle won't be coming up Heartbreak ridge with me

Unless you get boar on your lease this year....

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    I've been looking at after market triggers for my 1895 , I might have to try this out . By the way , nice rifle . You should bring it here and hunt some big , toothy things with it

AB
    Thanks, it's already come with me on a couple of driven boar trips to Croatia hunting big tusky things

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    Not to hi-jack your thread , but I just installed an XS express scout scope mount on a bubba'd No 5 Lee Enfield .I may be mistaken , but yours looks to be an XS mount . If it is , how has the mount worked for you ?

Thanks AB
    Yes it is an XS mount, the rifle is an 1895 SBL model so it came like that from the factory. Mount has been fine for my purposes, it also has a built in 'ghost ring' sight so I can take the scope off and use the open sights if the fancy takes me (that's why I mounted an extended eye relief scope forward of the rear sight)
    Last edited by csl; 12-08-2014 at 23:44.

I like the idea of an extended eye relief scope on my Marlin . As you know , recoil with heavier loads can be , as they say , vigorous lol . The more space between me and the back of the scope the better . I might have to follow your lead on this one , again , a very nice , practical big bore rifle . The perfect black timber rifle when your hunting something that will hunt you .

AB

A stainless Marlin 1895 carbine with an EER Swarovski scope - now that it a woods hunting machine.
    You should take Alberta Boy up on the invite to go after a big bear or moose.

Alberta Boy - I bought a second-hand Marlin 336 with Weaver bases on it, so out of curiosity, I mounted a scope, them a red dot sight. I have it back off now, but I am seriously considering some Warne bases for my .444 to use that red dot in some of the tall dark timber where big wild boar hang out near my place. This SS 1895 would be at home there.

Thanks guys, Canada/moose is definitely on the to-do list... one day!

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    A stainless Marlin 1895 carbine with an EER Swarovski scope - now that it a woods hunting machine.
    You should take Alberta Boy up on the invite to go after a big bear or moose.

Alberta Boy - I bought a second-hand Marlin 336 with Weaver bases on it, so out of curiosity, I mounted a scope, them a red dot sight. I have it back off now, but I am seriously considering some Warne bases for my .444 to use that red dot in some of the tall dark timber where big wild boar hang out near my place. This SS 1895 would be at home there.
    It's funny you mention the red dot . I've never used one on my hunting rifles, but I have been looking at a couple of Aimpoints . At the ranges I use the Marlin at ,I don't need ( or want ) any magnification . I think something with a 2 moa dot would be perfect .

I have shot my hunting partners Marlin 336 ER in 356 Win , which he selfishly refuses to sell to me . He has a Burris Fastfire on it . At first I was a bit doubtful , but after shooting it a bit , I was quite impressed . Previously , I was not a fan of optics that require batteries , the extreme cold here is awfully hard on batteries . After seeing his rifle in action over the years , with no issues , I think I'm going to try one out . I think my prejudice is more down to being an old fart , than any perceived issue with the sights . You're never to old to try something new.

I'm a novice when it comes to commercial red dots Southern , do you have any recommendations ?

Thanks , AB

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Thanks guys, Canada/moose is definitely on the to-do list... one day!
    Think Black Bears , stinking big ones lol

AB