First time out in ages!

Those of you that know me will know that I suffered an injury a while ago that stopped my sporting activities in their tracks and left me with a gimpy leg so I have not been stalking in well over a year and had to amuse myself with the odd sedate potter with a rimfire.
However the other evening I checked the zero on the .308 and even managed to bump a fox after the check zero and this morning I headed out for a proper stalk.
After setting off just after first light through a low scrubby wood I reach the edge were it borders a rough field with 2 pheasant feeders in. At the nearest feeder (about 150m) was a doe with 2 well grown kids. I moved to a pile of old brashing and roots and settled down behind them to watch the trio scoffing the wheat, after a while I decided to see what their reaction would be to the buttalo and gave a few squeaks. Mum stopped feeding and came about 20 yards closer but the twins kept scoffing, a few more squeaks and mum got bored and went back to the feeder. At this point a rather scrawny looking buck appeared from the hedge to the right of the feeder and started walking over to the feeder and the other deer, stopping about 20 yards short he was at first facing me and not giving me a chance of a clear shot. As I pondered if another squeak would move him or just bring him closer than I wanted or spook him he turned broadside to look at the doe and youngsters and I dropped him on the spot with a heart shot. The trio stopped feeding walked about 15 yards away from the feeder then browsed their way back totally un-fussed by the shot and the dead buck. I watched them for another 10 min before I thought I best get him gralloched so slowly emerged from behind the heap of brashings and they moved off into the neighboring field of wheat. Gralloch done I hung him up and continued through to a plantation of poplars and a high seat to see the @rse of a muntjc disappearing as I stalked to the seat and a much better quality roe buck than the one I shot who winded me on the way back. All in all a great morning after far too long. Not sure I am quite up for getting another goat with Colin just yet but certainly great to be back out stalking.

Well done good to hear you are back in action, just posted my DSC2 portfolio off so you'll have to play catch up now!! Just let me know if you need a few pointers, LoL.
Need to get back up to Colin's myself, work is getting in the way at the moment.
Cheers
Unc.

Well done good to hear you are back in action, just posted my DSC2 portfolio off so you'll have to play catch up now!! Just let me know if you need a few pointers, LoL.
Need to get back up to Colin's myself, work is getting in the way at the moment.
Cheers
Unc.
Trust me one pointer is more than enough!

Back