Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Loosing / Moving Zero When Moderator Removed and Replaced

Rifle Loosing / Moving Zero When Moderator Removed and Replaced

Hi All

I was hoping for some help / advice with my rifle....

I have a Remington 700 .243. My rifle moves the zero intermittently when taking the moderator on and off. It doesn't do it all the time, but needless to say I have to check the zero when I replace the moderator if I have taken it off, as it could have moved. The rifle does still hold a tight group regardless of where the current zero is. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?

I have done some internet based research and some people say to remove the pressure pad that is built into the stock and have the action bedded. Apparently its common with my model of rifle, and particularly Remington to build in pressure pads. Again does anyone think the pressure pad may have something to do with the problem?

I am extremely grateful of any advice / previous experiences that any one has.

Thanks in advance, Jack

You should remove the moderator each time it's been fired. If you don't, your barrel front end of the bore will corrode & turn the rifle into a shotgun (accuracy will be permanently destroyed).
    Back to your question - Your zero moving is probably down to the action moving in the bedding. Is it torqued down properly? Are your scope mounts tight?
    If it is tight you may need to re-bed / pillar bed the action in the stock.
    Simply removing the fore-end pressure point may destroy any accuracy that your rifle exhibits now. (Been there - done that - put the pressure point back & rectified it - Ruger 77 V Mk1 in 308)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    You should remove the moderator each time it's been fired. If you don't, your barrel front end of the bore will corrode & turn the rifle into a shotgun (accuracy will be permanently destroyed).
    Back to your question - Your zero moving is probably down to the action moving in the bedding. Is it torqued down properly? Are your scope mounts tight?
    If it is tight you may need to re-bed / pillar bed the action in the stock.
    Simply removing the fore-end pressure point may destroy any accuracy that your rifle exhibits now. (Been there - done that - put the pressure point back & rectified it - Ruger 77 V Mk1 in 308)

Ian

Really... My t8 never came off my t3 for around four years never had a problem with it yet... Still hit a golf ball at 200 yds with mine..
    dw

I use Remington 700 .243 fitted with wildcat mod and never have a problem with zero moving after refitting mod. I never leave mod on rifle when I am not using it. Make sure when fitting the mod you tighten it down on the thread ruffly the same every time and dont over tighten.
    Last edited by .243Ady; 13-08-2014 at 08:01.

Jack,
    If your rifle is a SPS the flimsy plastic tupperware stock is most likely at fault.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    Really... My t8 never came off my t3 for around four years never had a problem with it yet... Still hit a golf ball at 200 yds with mine..
    dw
    So you didn't clean the bore either in 4 years David? - Tut Tut!

Many rifles have been ruined by muzzle corrosion caused by corrosive chemicals condensing in the first couple of inches - it's a well known problem - maybe some barrel steels don't corrode as easily as others. ----
    Thinking about it I suspect that the problem will occur most when barrels & moderators are dissimilar galvanically (steel barrel & aluminium mod) --- is the T8 a steel mod? - If so, that may be the reason you've not had the problem (steel on steel etc).

Ian
    Last edited by Yorric; 12-08-2014 at 22:53.

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    dw
    then you were extremely lucky

it is not the mod material vs barrel material
    it is the acidic gases and condensation held in the mod which when cool condenses in the first few inches and on the crown. even on stainless

lovely blend of Nitric, Sulphuric and Amonia bases acidic compounds in a handy solution

ask any rifle builder how many mods they have cut off or barrels that need chopping as a result of this.

i had 1st hand experience of this my 1st rifle was a t3 second hand when it arrive at the mod was stuck on it took me and the owner of the gun shop to get it of ,not knowing much about rifles i kept it ,it turn out to be the worst thing i ever did it cost me alot of monney recrown 80 hundreds of bullets tying to get it to zero ,new mod and so on in the end it was sent back to the shop where i had brought it from as the barrel was so badley damage ,witch had been a direct result from the mod being left on i was told. In side the riflling had been eaten away .So leave them on at your own risk

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    then you were extremely lucky

it is not the mod material vs barrel material
    it is the acidic gases and condensation held in the mod which when cool condenses in the first few inches and on the crown. even on stainless

lovely blend of Nitric, Sulphuric and Amonia bases acidic compounds in a handy solution

ask any rifle builder how many mods they have cut off or barrels that need chopping as a result of this.

Take heed,this is exactly what happened to a friend of mine, he used to lightly loosen the mod and leave in the cabinet but didn't fully remove,the front 12' or so from the muzzle was badly pitted and eventually he scraped the rifle for the action.

Problem probably lies in the stock and I would approach this in steps.
    1. If the stock is as Ian described get a new one.
    2. If teh stock is wood remove the pressure point in the barrel channel making sure the barrel is now fully floating.
    3. Conduct test shooting. Stop here if the grouping is as desired.
    4. If not resolved, bed the action and the first 3 inches of barrel to the stock. I have sometimes found I did not need to bed any of the barrel but never found it to casue a probelm so I alwasys do it now. Make sure the buttom of the recoil lug is not in contact with the bedding, only the rear face, not the front, bottom or sides.
    5. Test fire again and I'll bet the problem is resolved.