Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How big does a mod have to be.

How big does a mod have to be.

I have a .22 hornet and am looking for a new moderator for it. Im not a fan of reflex type mods but on paper they do a better job. Would this be the case with the small amount of powder used in the hornet or is it just more weight and cost for no benefit. I have tried my atec cmm4 rimfire and cmm4 .30 cal on the rifle. On the rimfire version although the manufacturer says its suitable for hornet it is showing signs of pitting on the baffles. The .30 cal copes fine but obviously the holes is way to big. Ive looked at the aimsonic compact ( not convinced of the stainless nut arrangement and possible glare in the scope ). And also the swift nightingale but not much information out there on these.
    Regards pete

I use my .30 cal mod on my .22rf. If the noise level is acceptable for you just stick with the one, why spend more money when you don't need to? You only shoot one at time. The only reason I use a mod is to protect my hearing.

Have a look at the new MAE mods, stainless steel and made by a manufacturer that has been in the business longer than most.
    Just got one of their new compact units for my 22BR and it beats the competition hands down.
    it is rated for 243, stainless and so will last for years without any worry re the gas cutting and dis similar metal issues of most of the so called modern mods out there.

I use a T12 scout overbarrel on my .22WMR and .222
    6.5mm bore (vs 5.56mm calibre)
    it is heavier than some but it depends on what you want from it
    very good sound attenuation

Pess Mini-T on my Hornet, have also used the smallest Pess muzzle can, both work well.
    Mod choice is really controlled by how many rounds you will fire, if less than 500 per year
    I would seriously consider a Sac, but you will need a new one every year, but for the price
    it's a lot cheaper even in the long run than a proper C/F moderator.

Neil.

Thanks for your replies guys. There is very little difference between the two mods i have tried. Only in tone rather than volume. I do feel that the rimfire mod struggles to cope with the volume of gas and would like to see if a centre fire mod of appropriate size would be quieter.
    So obviously my 308 with 43 grains of powder will need a bigger mod to cope with the gasses produced. Does anybody know the volume of gas produced from a .22 hornet with 12.5 gn of powder 18 inch barrel and if a reflex style mod would really give much more moderation over a muzzle can.

The Pess Mini-T is aimed at rimes, but is full stainless construction, it is the quietest mod I have used on my Hornet.
    But a Sac is only slightly less efficient, the down side is limited life.
    I also have ASE mods, a 30 cal SL5 and .22 size CQBS, both are heavier, and not as good in the noise stakes.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    I have a .22 hornet and am looking for a new moderator for it. Im not a fan of reflex type mods but on paper they do a better job. Would this be the case with the small amount of powder used in the hornet or is it just more weight and cost for no benefit. I have tried my atec cmm4 rimfire and cmm4 .30 cal on the rifle. On the rimfire version although the manufacturer says its suitable for hornet it is showing signs of pitting on the baffles. The .30 cal copes fine but obviously the holes is way to big. Ive looked at the aimsonic compact ( not convinced of the stainless nut arrangement and possible glare in the scope ). And also the swift nightingale but not much information out there on these.
    Regards pete
    You say the "30 cal works well but hole to big"... whats the problem with that, does it allow much more noise?

It sounds about the same volume wise. I can hear more of a crack when using the rimfire mod which makes me think it moderates the bang better and im hearing the supersonic crack. As opposed to the .30 cal which is a deeper sound possibly more of the bang being heard. Either way im not convinced that either the rimfire or .30 cal are as good as they could be. Its a difficult thing to judge when on paper some moderators are far better than others but it comes down to the shooters ear to judge. And ive very little experience of moderators in the small centrefire stakes