View Poll Results: Roe bucks - What would you do?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Show restraint and study to form a plan

40 62.50%
  • Leave the nice bucks alone to hopefully get better

12 18.75%
  • Shoot any bucks you see regardless

9 14.06%
  • Purposely go after the known good buck while the rut is still on

4 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll - What would you do in my shoes?!

Poll - What would you do in my shoes?!

Ok. I have a dilemna about Roe bucks and am not sure what to do for the best!

I'll bullet point the facts then see what you would do in my shoes. It may even bring back memories for the more experienced stalkers on here as you may have been in the same position, and if so please tell!!

• I have never shot a Roe buck before
    • I have been asked to manage the deer for the farmer who likes to see them about, so doesn't want them hammered. Munties get shot on sight though
    • We don't have loads of Roe on the ground (1000 acres mainly arable) so shooting a dominant buck wouldn't matter so much if others moved in as there is not much damage (at the moment!)
    • As I haven't seen many Roe in person I don't have the experience or knowledge to know how old they may be when I encounter them, apart from being obviously youngsters
    • As far as I'm aware the neighbouring farm has no-one shooting the deer so any good buck 'may' get left alone (I've set the wheels in motion and enquired about the stalking )
    • I don't yet have a set cull plan as I'm still guaging numbers and learning the trade so to speak

So to the options, would you?

• Show restraint (as I have been doing) and study the Roe further before shooting one unless I happen upon a definitive cull buck, malform, etc
    • Leave the nice buck I've seen hoping/assuming it may get bigger and better and not get shot elsewhere
    • Shoot the next buck I see given the chance regardless of size, shape, etc, as you never know what's going to happen in the future
    • Purposely go out and try and get the nice buck while the rut is on, as it would make a cracking 1st Roe buck in case it dissappears

Please share your thoughts and feel free to add an option or question to help out,

Cheers

Stratts
    Last edited by stratts; 13-08-2014 at 10:17.
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

That's a big question, first thing I would ask is what are you trying to achieve, sustaining numbers but no letting then increase, reducing numbers slightly or getting the population dynamic and percentages right, ie buck to doe ratio, or is it because there is damage that needs to be reduced? Whichever it is shooting a good buck is unlikely to have any effect on any of the above and could make things worse. Firstly I would say you need to study what you think you have on the ground as well as the damage that is occurring.
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Shoot a young buck and ask the owner if he would like it in `oven-ready` state or sell it and give him the money and receipt.
    Owners like to be in control and it is a good way to retain your sport.

HWH.

SD Regular
    I think (1) and (2) are ostensibly the same. By culling out the weak and poorer heads, you should be improving the gene pool anyway. If all heads are poor on the bucks, you'll be wanting to try and pull a better alpha male in. The rut is pretty much over, so any mating will have been done for this year. If the owner likes to see some around, there may well be a 'favourite' he sees regularly, whether he has declared it or not, so go carefully.

What you're describing is management - so assess your numbers and shoot with care - and enjoy yourself!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by stalkinginengland View Post
    That's a big question, first thing I would ask is what are you trying to achieve, sustaining numbers but no letting then increase, reducing numbers slightly or getting the population dynamic and percentages right, ie buck to doe ratio, or is it because there is damage that needs to be reduced? Whichever it is shooting a good buck is unlikely to have any effect on any of the above and could make things worse. Firstly I would say you need to study what you think you have on the ground as well as the damage that is occurring.
    This is the strange situation I am faced with where the owner actually wouldn't mind seeing more Roe on the land! There is not much damage at the moment, so if other bucks moved in to replace the one or two good ones I 'could' take now, the ground could quite possibly sustain them.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Shoot a young buck and ask the owner if he would like it in `oven-ready` state or sell it and give him the money and receipt.
    Owners like to be in control and it is a good way to retain your sport.

HWH.
    I like it but he doesn't actually like venison as I've asked already and anything I shoot gets consumed by us or friends and family. He leaves me to do as I please with the carcasses but being only muntjac shot at the moment they soon get gobbled up!!

You could hypothesise all day and not come up with an answer. If you shoot the buck will you know in a year if it was the right thing to do? If you dont shoot the buck in a year will you know if it was the right thing to do? The more I read get taught or experiance for myself the less sure i am about and the more sceptical I am of someone that claims to be able to tell you exactly what to do regarding what to cull and be confident of linking a tangeable result to a specific plan. Impact assessment techniques seem the most plausable measurement. There are just too many variables and on top of that a number of different agendas from different stake holders.

Sounds as though you have a fairly loose remit of knocking a few deer down without flattening everything. Do what you want but dont agonise over it.

If you shoot the young bucks only your numbers will increase and you will avoid too much damage, shoot a good buck and you could potentially, cause young bucks to come in that the older buck is keeping out, again numbers should increase, you can only decrease numbers by shooting does, if your land owner wants to see more Roe then leave your does alone and for a start take poor bucks, it seems that you have a great opportunity.
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Start off by watching and learning while you are doing that you can still remove munty,s. The rut is over everything should settle down a bit. Look at your does how many young they have 1/2 Take out any obvious pour quality youngster. If it is to increase numbers leave female kids and remove male. In April /May watch what is happening in the area and shoot most of the young males leave the big lads until you know who is who. 1000 is plenty to study roe and manage them. If you are thinking of shooting a buck because some one else might then you are wasting your time even thinking about management.

Thanks chaps.

Yes I am in a nice position but feel I've earned it after gaining the trust of the landowner by doing the donky work and rabbit shooting, etc, for the last 3 years

Unfortunately Pete, in a quirky twist of fate it seems I will only be able to hypothesise for the next few weeks!! I just got a text from her indoors saying she tripped down the stairs after I left for work and is currently in A&E getting her broken foot set in plaster!! Anyone know how to use those white metal things that spin round in the utility room, I always thought it was magic!!