Thread: Roe ageing idea for those with plenty of heads

Roe ageing idea for those with plenty of heads

Not sure if this is easily do-able but could someone with loads of Roe heads maybe help out?

I'm trying to learn about ageing Roe and was wondering if someone with various heads at various ages could post pictures of a few together in a line, so I can see the differences. If it's even possible that is? Especially older animals that are 'going back' as I do not know what one would look like if I was to see one on my ground.

I've read about body shape, etc, but it's one thing reading and another thing seeing in the flesh so to speak,

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

If you want help on aging by body shape. Try and find a sheep farmer and look at his flock and you will see the difference in body shape or even a local livestock market. This should give you lots of examples at different ages in close proximity. As they say practice makes perfect.

Andy7mm
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Thanks but don't I need an SSC1 for that!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Stratts look at humans and transferee. young thin no real shape very young some shape slightly more rounded Young shaply full body middle age saggy bones showing angles old age.
    Antlers do have an age class thin with small coronets young decent six point head with flat coronets middle age. drooping coronets blunt and thick OLD. Me I go by body shape and size antlers are to hit and miss.

Older bucks have thicker necks and carry their heads lower whilst walking.
    Young bucks are more swan-like .
    It is easier to see symptoms of age when heads are boiled off.
    Shorter thicker pedicles as a bit is lost at each antler casting, drooping coronets, thickening of the main beam etc.
    I will try to find my picture of 4 medal heads which show this more clearly.
    HWH.

Three mature beasts on the left and an improving youngster on the right which was shot too early in his life.
    The two central Silver medals next to him shows the short pedicles and drooping coronets typical of the aging process.
    HWH.