Thread: Seagulls vs a crow

Seagulls vs a crow

I was checking my boat down at Granton harbour after all the recent rain and to check that she hadn't sunk.

There re was a big commotion - can't think of a better word - of herring gulls mobbing something in the water. This was clearly a large black crow in the water struggling to get airborne. But every time it tried to flap the seagull just attacked it. After a few minutes the crow was clearly exhausted and just expired. The seagulls continued to mill around with the odd one going in to peck it.

Now the seagulls down there have certainly taken out several pigeons that roost on the old pier - they knock them down into the water. But this is the first time they have taken on a large crow and it was 50 yards out so it must have flying and driven / knocked out of the sky. What will they take out next?

You will, quite literally, soon need someone riding shotgun when you go out!

I saw a Herring Gull take out a rabbit kit in Cornwall a couple of years ago, it swooped in and pecked it on the head then kept this up until it killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    I was checking my boat down at Granton harbour after all the recent rain and to check that she hadn't sunk.

There re was a big commotion - can't think of a better word - of herring gulls mobbing something in the water. This was clearly a large black crow in the water struggling to get airborne. But every time it tried to flap the seagull just attacked it. After a few minutes the crow was clearly exhausted and just expired. The seagulls continued to mill around with the odd one going in to peck it.

Now the seagulls down there have certainly taken out several pigeons that roost on the old pier - they knock them down into the water. But this is the first time they have taken on a large crow and it was 50 yards out so it must have flying and driven / knocked out of the sky. What will they take out next?