Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L200 starting problem

L200 starting problem

Hi,

Recently my l200 has a starting issue. It will start no problem from cold, but for example I drive 10 mile so it's hot,pop into a shop back in truck it won't fire up, turns but say won't fire up.
    its a 57reg old version.

Hi mate. I am not mechanically minded but j would join the l200forum a good bunch of guys on there who are very helpful. They will prob sort you out.

Sounds like glow plugs. Engine cold, glow plugs kick in, engine warm, no glow plugs harder to start.

My Pajero was doing the same so changed glow plugs and cured it but I am running on bio-diesel

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Hi,

Recently my l200 has a starting issue. It will start no problem from cold, but for example I drive 10 mile so it's hot,pop into a shop back in truck it won't fire up, turns but say won't fire up.
    its a 57reg old version.
    Get rid and get a hilux
    Keep on going to the end you never no what's round the corner

Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post
    Sounds like glow plugs. Engine cold, glow plugs kick in, engine warm, no glow plugs harder to start.

My Pajero was doing the same so changed glow plugs and cured it but I am running on bio-diesel

Yeh could be, as not always will the coil glow on the dash light up when hot.

My father in law seems to think the siunoide cut off valve.

Allan just joined the l200 forum.

I spent 15 years working on the L200 in a main dealer.

The glow plugs are not needed when the engine is warm, even if the engine has cooled down over a couple of hours you could immobilize the glow plug and the engine would start no problem.

It sounds to me from my experience and your fault description you have a injector on the way out, you need to perform a injector LEAK OFF test. YouTube it, it's easy to do.

I suspect it blows out black smoke under load when you put your foot down too does it?!

what mileage has it done?

give us a shout if you need any help or guidance mate.

Steve.
    Last edited by 247sniper; 14-08-2014 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    I spent 15 years working on the L200 in a main dealer.

The glow plugs are not needed when the engine is warm, even if the engine has cooled down over a couple of hours you could immobilize the glow plug and the engine would start no problem.

It sounds to me from my experience and your fault description you have a injector on the way out, you need to perform a injector LEAK OFF test. YouTube it, it's easy to do.

I suspect it blows out black smoke under load when you put your foot down too does it?!

what mileage has it done?

give us a shout if you need any help or guidance mate.

Steve.

Dont think it does mate blow out black smoke when put foot down mate. It's done 51.524 mileage.

Ill have a look on YouTube. Is it a big job to get replaced if it is that.??

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Hi,

its a 57reg old version.
    Got the same prob with my ranger at the moment , it will be one of 3 things , glow plugs , injectors or fuel pump !

I am replacing the injectors this weekend which will be a cheap fix at 160 for the set , but if it th pump looking at a grand ish !!!!!!

Goo luck with it hope you have a cheap ppl fix

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    Got the same prob with my ranger at the moment , it will be one of 3 things , glow plugs , injectors or fuel pump !

I am replacing the injectors this weekend which will be a cheap fix at 160 for the set , but if it th pump looking at a grand ish !!!!!!

Goo luck with it hope you have a cheap ppl fix
    Cheers, if it is the pump is I won't be stalking this year as will swallow my finances up.
    ive spoke to a few mechanics and from my description mine shouldn't be the pump.
    now what I have sussed out is. Drive 20 miles first five minutes will start, with five to fifteen minutes won't start, after that will start.
    what I done yesterday was allowed it to it to start, placed a peace of wire from the battery to the selluniode started it that way.

Fkin hope it's not the pump.

Good luck mate fingers cross its the cheapest option.