Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: What breed of sheep to get???

  1. #1

    What breed of sheep to get???

    Hi and apologies by being at the opposite end of the spectrum.
    my neighbour has approx two acres of land that they have kindly said I can put some sheep on there. What breed will be is best to produce good meat and low maintenance.
    idealy I'd like only four what costs may I be looking at.

    Any Cumbrian north lancs farmers on here??

  2. #2
    When do you want them? I'd try to get 4 pet lambs for free or a few quid at lambing time, if I was you.

    Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

  3. #3
    Will prob depend on how good/exposed the ground is and how high/wet etc.

    If u were in scotland would be more ur Blackies, South/north country cheviots for hill ground prob going into crosses for slightly better ground
    Being in cumbria they seem to like their swales and forgot the bloody name now, the wee black/brown hairy wild ones?? (Herdswicks) but if better ground loads of other pure or cross bred sheep, leicester, texel etc

    Prob just best to buy some cross bred store lambs, not sure wot the trade is at minute, usually will tell u in local paper if theirs a farming section if u look under the local market sale prices

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    When do you want them? I'd try to get 4 pet lambs for free or a few quid at lambing time, if I was you.
    Soon as really cost permitting, i would of like to get four one to eat this year breed the others next yea.
    just to keep the freezer stocked throughout the year nothing on a huge scale.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Will prob depend on how good/exposed the ground is and how high/wet etc.

    If u were in scotland would be more ur Blackies, South/north country cheviots for hill ground prob going into crosses for slightly better ground
    Being in cumbria they seem to like their swales and forgot the bloody name now, the wee black/brown hairy wild ones?? (Herdswicks) but if better ground loads of other pure or cross bred sheep, leicester, texel etc

    Prob just best to buy some cross bred store lambs, not sure wot the trade is at minute, usually will tell u in local paper if theirs a farming section if u look under the local market sale prices
    The field isnt exposed as a lot of ash and oak trees around it. Not bothered about breeds or cross breeds just nice eating. But saying that I do like the all black ones. After looking on preloved seems 50 is cheapest.

  6. #6
    Honestly if you start breeding the problems multiply (both literally and figuratively). If you are breeding them they need looking at every few hours night and day if you want a successful outcome.

    If you do it right you can get 4 pet lambs in March, milk for 8 weeks, get some creep into them. Make the most of the grass and then slaughter them before winter. No need or expense of housing. No need to risk disease and hire rams.

    Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

  7. #7
    Have a look at easycare or wiltshire horn- no shearing, no dagging ,little risk of fly strike and reasonably good feet. Just remember that as soon as its born a sheep is just trying to find an interesting way to die. Best of luck nothing beats home produced lamb which you decide how long its been hung and how its butchered. If you are only getting 4 do not give them names or let the kids make them pets or else mutton is on the menu.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Hi and apologies by being at the opposite end of the spectrum.
    my neighbour has approx two acres of land that they have kindly said I can put some sheep on there. What breed will be is best to produce good meat and low maintenance.
    idealy I'd like only four what costs may I be looking at.

    Any Cumbrian north lancs farmers on here??
    Do you know anything about the processes and responsibilities (both practical and legal) involved in sheep keeping? Because, asking the question you have implies not.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Honestly if you start breeding the problems multiply (both literally and figuratively). If you are breeding them they need looking at every few hours night and day if you want a successful outcome.

    If you do it right you can get 4 pet lambs in March, milk for 8 weeks, get some creep into them. Make the most of the grass and then slaughter them before winter. No need or expense of housing. No need to risk disease and hire rams.
    Ill not bother breeding them now seems to much hard work for what I want. Looks like I may be to late unless somebody on here can help me out.

  10. #10
    If its just for the freezer better with texels or beltex or if you like a good bit of mutton get blackies or swales and into the bargain they will look after themselves

Similar Threads

  1. What breed ??
    By tom in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-06-2014, 21:50
  2. name the breed
    By bigscott270 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 13-05-2014, 15:17
  3. pure breed or cross breed
    By arron in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-08-2011, 22:15
  4. What breed
    By bambislayer in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-01-2009, 22:22
  5. Which breed........
    By nell in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-01-2009, 23:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •