What breed of sheep to get???

weeman

Hi and apologies by being at the opposite end of the spectrum.
my neighbour has approx two acres of land that they have kindly said I can put some sheep on there. What breed will be is best to produce good meat and low maintenance.
idealy I'd like only four what costs may I be looking at.

Any Cumbrian north lancs farmers on here??

Will prob depend on how good/exposed the ground is and how high/wet etc.

If u were in scotland would be more ur Blackies, South/north country cheviots for hill ground prob going into crosses for slightly better ground
Being in cumbria they seem to like their swales and forgot the bloody name now, the wee black/brown hairy wild ones?? (Herdswicks) but if better ground loads of other pure or cross bred sheep, leicester, texel etc

Prob just best to buy some cross bred store lambs, not sure wot the trade is at minute, usually will tell u in local paper if theirs a farming section if u look under the local market sale prices

When do you want them? I'd try to get 4 pet lambs for free or a few quid at lambing time, if I was you.

Soon as really cost permitting, i would of like to get four one to eat this year breed the others next yea.
just to keep the freezer stocked throughout the year nothing on a huge scale.

Will prob depend on how good/exposed the ground is and how high/wet etc.

If u were in scotland would be more ur Blackies, South/north country cheviots for hill ground prob going into crosses for slightly better ground
Being in cumbria they seem to like their swales and forgot the bloody name now, the wee black/brown hairy wild ones?? (Herdswicks) but if better ground loads of other pure or cross bred sheep, leicester, texel etc

Prob just best to buy some cross bred store lambs, not sure wot the trade is at minute, usually will tell u in local paper if theirs a farming section if u look under the local market sale prices
The field isnt exposed as a lot of ash and oak trees around it. Not bothered about breeds or cross breeds just nice eating. But saying that I do like the all black ones. After looking on preloved seems £50 is cheapest.

Honestly if you start breeding the problems multiply (both literally and figuratively). If you are breeding them they need looking at every few hours night and day if you want a successful outcome.

If you do it right you can get 4 pet lambs in March, milk for 8 weeks, get some creep into them. Make the most of the grass and then slaughter them before winter. No need or expense of housing. No need to risk disease and hire rams.

Have a look at easycare or wiltshire horn- no shearing, no dagging ,little risk of fly strike and reasonably good feet. Just remember that as soon as its born a sheep is just trying to find an interesting way to die. Best of luck nothing beats home produced lamb which you decide how long its been hung and how its butchered. If you are only getting 4 do not give them names or let the kids make them pets or else mutton is on the menu.

my neighbour has approx two acres of land that they have kindly said I can put some sheep on there. What breed will be is best to produce good meat and low maintenance.

Do you know anything about the processes and responsibilities (both practical and legal) involved in sheep keeping? Because, asking the question you have implies not.

Honestly if you start breeding the problems multiply (both literally and figuratively). If you are breeding them they need looking at every few hours night and day if you want a successful outcome.

If you do it right you can get 4 pet lambs in March, milk for 8 weeks, get some creep into them. Make the most of the grass and then slaughter them before winter. No need or expense of housing. No need to risk disease and hire rams.

Ill not bother breeding them now seems to much hard work for what I want. Looks like I may be to late unless somebody on here can help me out.

If its just for the freezer better with texels or beltex or if you like a good bit of mutton get blackies or swales and into the bargain they will look after themselves

human nature is human nature regardless of what country you are in.... You'll be far ahead and sleep much better if you tell him to kindly mow his own grass and fix his own fence and just buy your meat already on the hook (or packaged)... Then you don't have to worry about shearing, doctoring, trimming hooves, sheltering, dealing with a neighbor that feels you owe him something, etc.....
If you still insist on sheep, maybe look at the shedding breeds...

good luck.....

Who is doing the paperwork for the sheep? Regards JCS

Have a look at easycare or wiltshire horn- no shearing, no dagging ,little risk of fly strike and reasonably good feet. Just remember that as soon as its born a sheep is just trying to find an interesting way to die. Best of luck nothing beats home produced lamb which you decide how long its been hung and how its butchered. If you are only getting 4 do not give them names or let the kids make them pets or else mutton is on the menu.

Never a truer word been said! They are suicidal helpless buggers and need constant help but Jebus they taste good.
Me uncle had Dalesbred. Those things are hardy as hell, tough as old boots (mentally and physically but not their meat) and laugh in the face of adverse weather but still love t die randomly.
Great animals to keep though mate. I literally couldn't be more jealous....unless you also have a nice English double rifle as well!

human nature is human nature regardless of what country you are in.... You'll be far ahead and sleep much better if you tell him to kindly mow his own grass and fix his own fence and just buy your meat already on the hook (or packaged)... Then you don't have to worry about shearing, doctoring, trimming hooves, sheltering, dealing with a neighbor that feels you owe him something, etc.....
If you still insist on sheep, maybe look at the shedding breeds...

good luck.....

Cant get a mower to this bit of land, nothing wrong with the perrimiter fenceing, my neighbours ain't like that as I help them out on the working farm with the pigs and geese which they pay me in return in pork.
im just trying to get a few sheep for meat as I cull deer, boar and have free range pork so be nice to get a few sheep, I'll pass on cattle.

I have some nice Hampshire downs x lambs if you interested lovely meat ready for slaughter now
The gimmers would be ok for putting to the ram if you just require meat for freezer
Pm me if cant get fit up
Totally agree with what stag says make sure the FENCE IS GOOD

Hi,
We have a mixed flock of hebridean, manx and whitefaced woodland at the school I work at and work with a local farmer to use his tups etc.
The Manx are probably the best in terms of combining a manageable size and placid temperament. The hebs are a nice size but are a bit feral when it comes to handling, the WFW are a really nice breed placid and easily my favourite but are big lumps for the kids to handle.
All 3 are slow maturing (lambs ready the following year to get a good carcass and the lamb from all 3 is fantastic) and do well as rough ground mowers (hebs seem to love scub) and we have had no issues with lambing though the hebs seemed prone to fly (dark coats?) this year. Small scale sheep keeping is really rewarding but don’t underestimate work (I am lucky and it is spread between several members of staff) and the paperwork (more paperwork when we move sheep than there is when kids transfer school!).

Last edited:
I'd just speak to 1 of ur neighbouring farmers and either ask advice or to buy some sheep, guessing would advise 4 store lambs of wotever breed. If good grass u can get any breed but if poorer grazing might be better with more hill type sheep.
Depending how long the grass is but sheep generally dinae like long grass, so it can be too long for them, often see it on hills where they take cattle of and hill gets away from sheep and the sheep go downhill too.
I'd speak to a local farmer he will know ur area and know wot to look out for, liver fluke etc
Depending on wot size and the breed u may be able to run 2 batches (fattening early and late lambs) otherwise all be ready at same time, but that's wot freezers are for!
Breeding would be a total baw ache

Back