Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving instructors for towing?

Regular Poster

Driving instructors for towing?

Evening all,
    A bit of a long shot perhaps (no pun intended) but does anyone know of a decent driving instructor local to Stourbridge, Kidderminster and the surrounding area as far as Bridgnorth etc. who does lessons for the towing test? I have very little experience of towing in general and none on the road but I want it sorted before I go to Uni so a decent instructor is a must. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Alistair

for the B+E test i take it ????

I did my trailer test last Friday. Had 2.5 hours with an instructor earlier in the week and passed (also used his trailer for the test).

It's not hard, the reversing might take a bit of practising.

The chap I used was good, but Skipton may be a fair drive for you.

(The driving is just the same as your test).

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Recently, a friend has spent an inordinate amount of money on lessons for this, then was told you only need it if you are towing over 3.5T?? As far as I am aware, he's dropped it - some of the instructors from what he said are unscrupulous buggers....

T

It's complicated. You can tow a trailer with a MAM of up to 750kg as long as the combined vehicle and trailer MAM don't exceed 3.5T total. It doesn't matter if the trailer is empty but is rated for the higher weight.

I drive a 3 tonne Discovery so anything other than a pressed steel Halfords jobbie puts me over the limit - certianally any livestock trailer/horse box/etc.

I didn't realise it was based on the permitted loading weight and thought the actual weight was what mattered. I've towed empty livestock trailers many times. Borrowed one to move house etc.

With the B+E you can tow anything up to the limit of the towing vehicle so Disco PLUS 3.5 tonnes.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Drive train at Throckmorton airfield are the company we use, and seem switched on.

Regular Poster
    Well it's a bit simpler for me, passed my test about a year ago so if I want to tow anything, 50kg or 3500kg I need to take a DMV test. There is then a further test for vehicle plus trailer weights over 3500, which, considering I will be towing with a disco 3, will have to be taken immediately afterwards. Which considering my mother, who can hardly reverse just a car, let alone a trailer, could happily link up a massive great stock trailer then go on the motorway, is patently ridiculous..bloody red tape!

One of the few advantages of being old and having taken the driving test in the dim and distant past (he says smugly).

Good old grumpy rights, 7.5 tons

Stan

yeah and 16 year old kids jump in tractor and can pull tons and tons behind them