Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: .700 nitro express

  1. #1

    .700 nitro express

    Was in kynamco placing an order for some rounds, and had a bit of a chat with the guy who makes up the ammo.
    Chopsing away about various rounds etc, he mentioned the price of .700 NE rounds........97 a squirt! Outch that's going to hurt in more ways than one, no wonder it's not the most commercially available round on the market hey! You certainly wouldn't want to send too many of them down the range purely for zeroing or practice.
    Makes my .375 ammo at about 2.50 a shot seem positively cheap!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Was in kynamco placing an order for some rounds, and had a bit of a chat with the guy who makes up the ammo.
    Chopsing away about various rounds etc, he mentioned the price of .700 NE rounds........97 a squirt! Outch that's going to hurt in more ways than one, no wonder it's not the most commercially available round on the market hey! You certainly wouldn't want to send too many of them down the range purely for zeroing or practice.
    Makes my .375 ammo at about 2.50 a shot seem positively cheap!

    Oooof! And I thought this was bad: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P  ricey.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	45808

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6.5 View Post
    Oooof! And I thought this was bad: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P  ricey.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	45808

    bargainous!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6.5 View Post
    Oooof! And I thought this was bad: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P  ricey.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	45808
    Wow , not a round for casual plinking . I shot the better part of a box through a friends Chapuis .......... I guess I should buy him a drink , I didn't think it was THAT expensive . It's cheaper here I'm sure , but I doubt they're giving it away . Now I feel bad .

    AB

  5. #5
    That is why everbody uses bertrand brass. Made in good ole Victoria. Will cost about 10X less per shot.

  6. #6
    I think the last box of 416 I bought was nearly 250.00. The guys in South Africa were horrified. All of the PH's I have met hand load everything. Eddie O'Reilly has a new Sabatti in 500 which he uses as his stopper of last resort and is working up loads for it. He says it hurt a bit at first!!!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    I think the last box of 416 I bought was nearly 250.00. The guys in South Africa were horrified. All of the PH's I have met hand load everything. Eddie O'Reilly has a new Sabatti in 500 which he uses as his stopper of last resort and is working up loads for it. He says it hurt a bit at first!!!
    I use a cast boolit from an RCBS mould in the 416 Rigby I use - at around 2000 to 2200fps they are not pip squeak loads. I wouldn't dream of using factory ammo.
    I have just got some Barnes 416 solids on clearance to load as well.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    That is why everbody uses bertrand brass. Made in good ole Victoria. Will cost about 10X less per shot.
    I tried using Bertram brass in my 416 Rigby when it was the only make of case you could buy in that calibre. I had to open the bolt with a rubber-faced mallet, they'd stretched so much. This was with a well-below-maximum load of H4831SC. Some time later I was able to get some Norma cases and they worked fine, with that load and on up to maximum.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by M275 View Post
    I tried using Bertram brass in my 416 Rigby when it was the only make of case you could buy in that calibre. I had to open the bolt with a rubber-faced mallet, they'd stretched so much. This was with a well-below-maximum load of H4831SC. Some time later I was able to get some Norma cases and they worked fine, with that load and on up to maximum.
    Thats worrying, did you have the headspace checked?

  10. #10
    At 97 per round I bet there is a healthy margin. Even if it's double the powder a 375 uses and the bullets are hand made or hand turned from solid there is still good margin there.

Similar Threads

  1. .500 Nitro Express Doubles
    By jmcourt in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 13:52
  2. .470 nitro in action
    By www.yorkshireroestalking. in forum Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 16:36
  3. Swap Nitro Express brass cartridge cases
    By JabaliHunter in forum Reloading
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 21:37
  4. For Sale nitro car
    By 1S1K in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 14:10
  5. how not to shoot a 700 nitro!!!!!
    By sinbad in forum Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-03-2011, 22:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •