Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BASC Mistake?

BASC Mistake?

Im using the word mistake, because I don't want to type the descriptive I really want to..

I hope I'm not right, but the change from "zeroing on ranges or land deemed suitable"

to the BASC recommended

"Zeroing on ranges ON land deemed suitable" will affect everyone who hasn't access to a home office approved range or land that has been checked for zeroing use on their FAC

Who in their right mind recommended or suggested the alteration…….

Anyone from BASC wish to comment?

Last edited by Ronin; 15-08-2014 at 17:02.

Andy will this mean all land will need to be clear personally suitable to the Chief .Will this small change in wording have any effect on those with open certificates.?

I take to mean, you cant just set up a range to practice, as a way of getting round the land not being passed,

an open ticket holder wouldnt have a problem.

My whole point is that the previous wording said zeroing on ranges or land deemed suitable.

For an open ticket holder, thats a decision you may take, "is the land suitable, yes"

Now the wording

"Zeroing on ranges on land deemed suitable"

This, in my interpretation means that the land used needs to be passed for use as a range, taking away the discretion of the open ticket holder...

While it really is a matter of sending off written permission from the landowner and waiting to get the land approved for "zeroing range" use by you local FEO, I really think this is a backwards step.

I may (hope I am) be interpreting this entirely the wrong way though…?

Surly the cops would not be so silly some chaps round here can have 20 - 30 separate ground. Cant imagine my FLO wanting to pay all my ground a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    Im using the word mistake, because I don't want to type the descriptive I really want to..

I hope I'm not right, but the change from "zeroing on ranges or land deemed suitable"

to the BASC recommended

"Zeroing on ranges ON land deemed suitable" will affect everyone who hasn't access to a home office approved range or land that has been checked for zeroing use on their FAC

Who in their right mind recommended or suggested the alteration…….

Anyone from BASC wish to comment?

Absolute stupidity on the part of BASC. I can only presume and hope it was an unintentional mistake. Suggest those of us who are BASC members raise the point with them.

I see your interpretation and agree it could be looked at in this way. However since it does not stipulate who has to determine if the land or range is suitable it makes little difference. If I choose to make up a little test range and deem it suitable I can quite rightly shoot on that land on which the range is on. Now if you haven't an open ticket you will require the land to be passed as normal.

If you are concerned why ask BASC?

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    I see your interpretation and agree it could be looked at in this way. However since it does not stipulate who has to determine if the land or range is suitable it makes little difference. If I choose to make up a little test range and deem it suitable I can quite rightly shoot on that land on which the range is on. Now if you haven't an open ticket you will require the land to be passed as normal.
    thats how I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1066 View Post
    If you are concerned why ask BASC?
    They suggested the amendments, assuming it was a mistake on their part they can take the matter up again with the police association so as to ensure they don't start using this wording on conditions.