Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New .308

New .308

Variation on its way for a .308, will be mainly for stalking woodland and short ranges ( 75 to 150 mtrs )
    Been offered a Steyr Scout ,what say you guys for's and against please.
    Steve

The performance spec for the scout rifle called for it to shoot 4moa at 100y, the steyr sometimes does it!

The scout is a great concept , mine never shot for toffee (6-8 inch random groups ) if you find one and you can shoot it and it groups then knock yourself out.

i think I'd try to find a Sako 75 heavy barrel and cut it to 18" for the woodland stuff your after doing?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by white van man View Post
    Variation on its way for a .308, will be mainly for stalking woodland and short ranges ( 75 to 150 mtrs )
    Steve
    A great concept. nul points for execution. I looked at getting one about 20 years ago. I'm glad I didn't. Regards JCS

If you are looking for a short barrelled 308 one might consider looking at the ruger gunsight 308 scout. We have had several through the workshop and they shot very well indeed . the trigger is good and controlled round feed. , not the lightest rifle but solid and reliable.Available screw cut from the factory as well. Yours respectfully Mike Norris

Don't touch one, the one I had really did shoot well a good concept but the for end bi pod is no good. If you actually use it the ends will burr and the rifle looks tatty and its never the right length for the situation your in. The idea of the additional mag is good, wish more manufactures would do this, load the two mags up and off you go stalking no lose bullets on you 10 is plenty. I had it from new I am very particular about cleaning my rifles but before long it had the most awful pits in the barrel after 3 or 4 years and apparently this is a problem with the rifles. I then got a sako 85 laminate stainless the two don't compare. Sako every day.
    Last edited by RPA.260; 16-08-2014 at 09:18.

My shooting colleague has a 7-08 Steyr Scout, his is extremely accurate shoots it for about two years now. One gripe is the little rotating thing in the action that sometimes moves and doesn't allow the bolt to close. First time this happened he had to call it the day until fixed at home.
    I think there are much better options out there like Mike say's. Lightweight barrelled rifles can be very accurate.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by white van man View Post
    Steve
    I have recently purchased a Steyr Scout .308W for exactly the same scenario (requiring a short, light, synthetic stocked rifle for short range quick shots, in heavy and dense woodland and shrub) and set it up with an Aimpoint red dot sight (Aimpoint Hunter H34S) and Titanium L.P. moderator. I can't be happier with the rifle and concept. Several stalking friends who were skeptical of my purchase were positively impressed once they could handle it. However I have not used it for a sufficient long time to be absolutely sure that that the red dot sight is the way forward, therefore I suggest that, as well as a red dot sight, you consider the Leupold FX-11 2.5x28mm Scout Scope which is after all designed to match this rifle.
    The rifle itself is of a very high quality and comes with the excellent Steyr SBS (Safe Bolt System). The integrated bi-pod will never be as sturdy as say a Harris bi-pod but as it folds away into the fore-stock it is very handy to avoid snagging when stalking in thick cover. In practice you will use the integrated bi-pod mainly when you have to put the rifle down, to keep it out of the mud and dirt.
    With a red dot sight (or with the long eye-relief Scout scope)and ching-sling the rifle handles like a shotgun and shooting is with both eyes open, so improved peripheral awareness and therefore safety.
    Last edited by Erik Hamburger; 16-08-2014 at 10:15.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

I had a Tactical Elite version of the scout in 308 and it was very accurate indeed, I know someone who had the scout version and it was not as accurate but obviously lighter and shorter than the elite. The bipod is to long for practical use and I ended up with Harris bipod on mine. The actions though are very good.

If you don't mind a bit of extra weight I would try and find a stainless Tactical Elite. You will not be disappointed with its accuracy.

Have a look at the Tikka CTR or Remington LTR concepts. They will be heavier than the Steyr but may be more accurate. The scout rifle concept is fine in theory but 4 MOA at 100 yards is not.