Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fully moderated rifles

fully moderated rifles

thinking of getting a fully moded rifle in 22 and if thats ok then getting my 222 done does anybody on here have any experience of this type of rifle and what are there thoughts.

Are you referring to fully shrouded barrel mod or just adding a normal mod to your .22

if its the former i wouldnt bother no real gain

if its the latter just get a recognised well known mod you could use the one mod for both the rifles if its proofed for the biggest

an end of barrel moderated .22 rimfire will be quiet enough to hear the fireing pin hit the round give or take

i hope ive got the right idea on what your after

it would be a fully shrouded the reason i am asking is that a friend of mine got 1 for his 222 from a well known rifle builder who offers this and it didnt shoot worth a dam with homeloads that the builder said that it shoots .so took rifle to a friend scraped the system and went with a normal barrel and mod on the end and it shoots 50gr factory inside a half in at 100 yd.

Sounds like you have your answer then from personal experience.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Speak to Julian at JMS arms

Keith

I have a .308 with a full length mod and it is awesome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

never really got the point of full shrouded mods on Supersonic centrefires

you will never lose the supersonic crack and the range of can or overbarrel mods available now are excellent if you match bore to calibre

FYI i ran a Pes T12 on my .22lr and my .222 purely because it was extremely good on both and saved me buying another
    (I also used it on .17M2/HMR/WMR/.243

I know predominantly use a 12.5" barrelled .22lr bolt action with a Wierauch aluminium mod with modified baffles (6mm bore)
    the loudest noise is the pin and the strike and I don't lose any of the MV that the shrouded system is famous for

I still use the T12 on the .222 without complaints

if you really want quiet you can make subsonic rounds for CF

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I don't lose any of the MV that the shrouded system is famous for
    Famous in your mind maybe ?
    A full length moderator cannot cost you any velocity, or rather can cost no more than a normal can.
    Or are you confusing a full length moderator with a vented barrel system ?

Neil.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Famous in your mind maybe ?
    A full length moderator cannot cost you any velocity, or rather can cost no more than a normal can.
    Or are you confusing a full length moderator with a vented barrel system ?
    Yes I am talking about a vented system
    otherwise the full length without the venting is just an overbarrel mod without a inner tube, using the outer surface of the barrel as the inner chamber wall.
    fairly pointless as mods are getting more efficient, lighter and smaller with none of the negatives....

if we are talking about those then I get the idea for balance on a single skin overbarrel but the thought of my nice CF barrel covered in the same crud that people freak out about on their crown makes me shudder!

even JMS recognise that:

1. "The latest developments in our R&D have improved our earlier IMS models (which used to leave a liquid residual with a rich smell of ammonia) to be bone dry as we have mitigated the higher pressures developing within the moderator, therefore reducing the sound signature further.

Be interested to see how they remove the vapour on the new ones as that "ammonia rich liquid" is basically acid!
    They are not interchangeable between rifles as the rear seal requires a gas tight seal and must be matched to the barrel.
    The constant removal of the mod and cleaning of the outside of the barrel must be a pain and the consequences of not removing and cleaning are worse!

I once saw a full shroud moderator of interesting design. The barrel was only 14inches long covered with a shroud of about 18 inches. A fitting was positioned inside the shroud that was threaded to accept the muzzle. The rear of the shroud was made to screw tightly against a shoulder on the front of recoil lug on a Rem 700. The shroud served to stiffen the lightweight barrel as well as be the body for the mod. The actual mod consisted of bit and pieces that were dropped into the shroud from the front and held by a muzzle cap. After firing they would remove the end cap and then push a bore brush through from the breech to push out the mod parts for cleaning. Created a very clean looking design, much more so than the devices commonly screwed on the muzzle.

SS