Thread: Loading Internal Magazine with Rimmed Cartridge.

Loading Internal Magazine with Rimmed Cartridge.

Last week I was out shooting rabbits with my BSA .22Hornet bolt action, which has an internal magazine with a bottom plate that opens.

The .22Hornet is a rimmed cartridge.

As the light faded and I was reloading the rifle by feel, I started to get in a right kerfuffle.

I got several 'stuff-ups' which was a pain to say the least. I don't usually fire many rounds at a time from the .22Hornet, so have never reloaded the magazine in the dark before.

The next day I made up five dummy rounds and practiced loading the magazine and cycling the bolt. I found that it seems necessary to load each round so that the following cartridge has its rim in front of the next i.e. the bottom cartridge nearest the bolt and the top nearest the barrel as they sit in the magazine.

I wonder if our members who shoot .22Hornet or other rimmed cartridges [such as .303] could comment as to whether my conclusions are correct or otherwise ?

That is one .303 theory, and it seems to work when charging a magazine by hand.
    Traditionally, the charging-clips are filled under-over-under-over-under, which seems to work also.

A quotation which amused, and which I've seen in other places:
    The British .303 Cartridge: Helping Englishmen express their feelings since 1888.
    Last edited by Dalua; 16-08-2014 at 21:27.

I haven't seen the rifle you speak of but it isn't always necessary to do so. My M-98 based Siamese Mauser 45-70 doesn't require such treatment because the magazine well is angled forward at the top like a 22LR magazine. This insures that each successive round has the rim stay ahead of the last as it is placed in the magazine. I am surprised that the Hornet is not arranged in the same manner. How is your magazine spring holding up??~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    A quotation which amused, and which I've seen in other places:
    The British .303 Cartridge: Helping Englishmen express their feelings since 1888.
    Superb.~Muir

Is it a regent I would like a new spring for my regent