Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medal Head Conundrums?

Medal Head Conundrums?

Is it only me, but I'm noticing an influx of stalkers claiming to have shot medal heads during this year's rut. To be fair it's not so much on SD other than FB and other stalking sites.

I don't know a great deal about medal heads but some of the ones exhibited look decidedly average. . . Has there been a review or changes made to the scoring system when determining if a head makes a medal or not?

Most of the Heads cadex don't make the grade they are just nice big heads. But my opinion this season is that it has been a pour year for roe heads and the weight of my animals is still the same.

I wonder to what extent mobile phones, cameras and social media play a part, it's so much easier to shoot a deer, snap a shot and have it uploaded for all to see in an instant, people are taking pictures of deer they would never have ordinarily bothered mentioning and everyone wants everyone else's opinions as to whether or not it might make a medal...... Just a theory.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I wonder to what extent mobile phones, cameras and social media play a part, it's so much easier to shoot a deer, snap a shot and have it uploaded for all to see in an instant, people are taking pictures of deer they would never have ordinarily bothered mentioning and everyone wants everyone else's opinions as to whether or not it might make a medal...... Just a theory.
    There actually might be some merit in what your saying. . Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    There actually might be some merit in what your saying. . Food for thought.
    No need to sound so surprised...... I do occasionally say things that make sense....!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

The only point I would make is that where folk already have in their possession medal heads that have been scored, they can hold the freshly shot head up against them and form a rough assessment.

I've got a head in the garage that failed to make a bronze by 5 points. In the future any head that looks better than it is certainly going to be worth taking for scoring.

Regards

JCS

The bucks and stags that I have shot would probably fail to reach the standard required to qualify for a lead medal.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

A lot of medal talk is just that, talk.
    It isn't really a medal until it has been scored officialy. For some it is just a way of saying 'a decent buck' and I agree 100% with mobile phone/social media affect.

No changes in the scoring systems other than to make it harder to get medals, the muntjac scoring benchmarks have been raised once or twice, and I believe that the threshold for UK red medals is going to be increased very shortly. The benchmarks for roe, fallow, CWD and sika have not been changed in recent times.

Apart from reds where there are different thresholds for Scottish and UK stags compared to some of mainland Europe and CWD/muntjac that do not occur elsewhere in Europe, our benchmarks are European rather than UK.
    Last edited by paul k; 17-08-2014 at 10:16.

Some people have a fair enough idea of a medal by holding in their hands through experience,and if they are thinking silver then it should be a medal of sorts and it comes down to knowing the system very well and shooting enough to be able to judge.
    I agree with the amount claiming "medals" does seem far fetched especially with newer stalkers but what is funnier is the amount that can tell a medal,even down to which colour,when a beast is still alive and walking around,and thats not restricted to novice stalkers either.