Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder burn rate

Powder burn rate

If two powders where next to each other in the burn rate chart and you have load data for one of these powders with a particular bullet weight ,but not the other where would it be safe to start in developing a load with the other powder. ie Vit n160..H4831??????

Burn rate chart gives you no useful information for reloading, look up your powder in a manual and use published data instead of the stab-in-the-dark you are contemplating.

Powder burn rate charts are of use - but only to help you decide which alternatives there are on the market for you to buy - period!

Each powder should be considered to have unique properties & only published loads should be used as a starting point for working a load up.

It's good (best practice) to compare loads from two sources for the powder / bullet you choose - eg Primary source for me is the powder maker then bullet maker or maybe the Lee book as a cross check.

Ian

Burn Rate

sauer... the burn rate chart is probably one of the most useful reference guides you have when selecting and comparing powders. For people that know their powders they will know that vit140 and tr140 and as near as damn it the same as Varget which people bang on about like it's better than everything else!!

gun go bang deer fall over
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 17-08-2014 at 12:05.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul at fechan View Post
    burn rate

sauer... The burn rate chart is probably one of the most useful reference guides you have when selecting and comparing powders.

a big + 1 on that for me too.

Bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

So, you say that the OP is correct in his assumption? Use the burn rate chart to figure out your load?? Glad I'm not close to either of you...

I have to agree with Sauer90. Powders have properties that are independent of burn rates. Take this example: H-110 and Lil Gun are side by side on the Burn Rate chart provided by Hodgdon. Lil Gun is listed as the 'faster' powder. If you look at 22 Hornet data you'll see that tho H-110 is the 'slower' of the two, the pressures generated are 40% greater than with Lil Gun. IF one were to use their 'logic' based on burn rate charts they might say that H-110 is slower than Lil Gun and therefore can be substituted. The results would be a high pressure overload. You can get away with it sometimes but you can usually be assured that if a neighboring powder on the burn chart isn't listed for a cartridge, it's because it was found -for some reason or another- to be unsuitable.~Muir

Cheers guys, my dilemma is I have 115gr bullets (25/06) I can find data for 100gr and 120gr using vit n160 (which I have) ,but not the 115gr ,but I can find data using h4831 which beside the n160 on the burn rate chart, hope you can see where im coming from????

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post

a big + 1 on that for me too.

Bob.
    me too the burn rate is very very very usefull for giving a like for like possible powder alternative
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    Cheers guys, my dilemma is I have 115gr bullets (25/06) I can find data for 100gr and 120gr using vit n160 (which I have) ,but not the 115gr ,but I can find data using h4831 which beside the n160 on the burn rate chart, hope you can see where im coming from????
    I don't see the dilemma. Use the data for the 120 grain starting loads. It's standard practice in reloading. To emphasize how this works look at the latest Hornady manual. They list three bullet weights for one set of data in 308.~Muir