Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh Deer

Welsh Deer

An insert off the commission website. Question, has anybody actually see Red or Sika in the Welshpool area? Or Muntjack in the Wrexham area?
    The text was written in 2012.

NOTES TO EDITORS
    A total of 14.3 per cent of Wales is covered by woodlands. Of this, 38% (126,000 hectares/311,000 acres) is owned by the Welsh Government.
    Forestry COMMISSION Wales is the Welsh Government’s department of forestry and manages these woodlands on its behalf.
    Geographical SPREAD of deer in Wales:
    Red deer
    Living wild in Brecon Beacons between Trecastle and Cwm Taf. Some escapees in the Margam Bryn forest area, as well as sightings in the LLEYN PENINSULA and Welshpool area.
    Roe deer
    Released in the early 1970s on the English side of the border, near Presteigne.
    Now present throughout Radnorshire on Welsh Government and private land.
    Roe have also been sighted along the M4 corridor, in the Lower Wye Valley and throughout Mid and North Wales (although these are not regular sightings and are probably transitory animals).

Fallow
    Main clusters: Denbighshire, predominantly on private land but some on Welsh Government land.
    Coed-y-Brenin, (Dolgellau) some on private land but predominantly on Welsh Government land.
    Powis Castle Estate (Welshpool), predominantly on private land, some on Welsh Government land.
    Welshpool, on both Welsh Government and private land.
    Llandeilo, predominantly on private land.
    Margam, Port Talbot, predominantly on Welsh Government land, some on private and local authority land.
    Wentwood, on Welsh Government and private land.
    Lower Wye Valley, Monmouthshire, on both Welsh Government and private land.
    Sika
    There was a very small group (possibly still surviving) on the Teifi Marshes and unconfirmed reports of sika in the Pembrey Forest area. Also possible sightings near Welshpool.
    Muntjac
    Anecdotal sightings along the M4 and M55 corridors, as well as sightings in the Lower Wye Valley and Radnorshire. Strong anecdotal sightings in the Mold-Wrexham area.
    Chinese Water Deer
    None known to exist in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    An insert off the commission website. Question, has anybody actually see Red or Sika in the Welshpool area? Or Muntjack in the Wrexham area?
    The text was written in 2012.

NOTES TO EDITORS
    A total of 14.3 per cent of Wales is covered by woodlands. Of this, 38% (126,000 hectares/311,000 acres) is owned by the Welsh Government.
    Forestry COMMISSION Wales is the Welsh Government’s department of forestry and manages these woodlands on its behalf.
    Geographical SPREAD of deer in Wales:
    Red deer
    Living wild in Brecon Beacons between Trecastle and Cwm Taf. Some escapees in the Margam Bryn forest area, as well as sightings in the LLEYN PENINSULA and Welshpool area.
    Roe deer
    Released in the early 1970s on the English side of the border, near Presteigne.
    Now present throughout Radnorshire on Welsh Government and private land.
    Roe have also been sighted along the M4 corridor, in the Lower Wye Valley and throughout Mid and North Wales (although these are not regular sightings and are probably transitory animals).

Fallow
    Main clusters: Denbighshire, predominantly on private land but some on Welsh Government land.
    Coed-y-Brenin, (Dolgellau) some on private land but predominantly on Welsh Government land.
    Powis Castle Estate (Welshpool), predominantly on private land, some on Welsh Government land.
    Welshpool, on both Welsh Government and private land.
    Llandeilo, predominantly on private land.
    Margam, Port Talbot, predominantly on Welsh Government land, some on private and local authority land.
    Wentwood, on Welsh Government and private land.
    Lower Wye Valley, Monmouthshire, on both Welsh Government and private land.
    Sika
    There was a very small group (possibly still surviving) on the Teifi Marshes and unconfirmed reports of sika in the Pembrey Forest area. Also possible sightings near Welshpool.
    Muntjac
    Anecdotal sightings along the M4 and M55 corridors, as well as sightings in the Lower Wye Valley and Radnorshire. Strong anecdotal sightings in the Mold-Wrexham area.
    Chinese Water Deer
    None known to exist in Wales.
    To give a straight answer to your question "no" but...........

Reds: There are supposed to have been a few reds in the Welshpool area for quite a few years now being escapees from Powys Castle. I notice from the latest BDS maps that the Conwy valley has two 10km squares with reds marked as present. There are also a few in the Lower Wye Valley that move between England and Wales.

Sika: A silver medal stag was shot in Glamorgan about 6 or 7 years ago but I don't know where it came from and I am not aware of any other sika in (or close to) Wales, the nearest are on Lundy Island. Those referred to on the Teifi marshes are thought to be red x sika hybrids and more red like than sika like.

Muntjac: There have been reports from the Rossett/Marford area near Wrexham for a few years and apparently they have been getting up the Alyn valley. I was recently told that someone who knows what they look like had one jump out in front of his car not too far from Mold (Alyn valley) and one made the news being fished out of a canal in Chester earlier this year. They have been in the Dane valley and Delamere Forest in Cheshire for a while so they are definitely around and pretty close. The FC have a shoot on sight policy with muntjac anywhere in Wales.

Roe: Started to show up in North Wales in the early 2000s, sightings in Loggerheads, Cilcain, Oakenholt, St Asaph and Bangor all around that time but I think the lampers had them as they seem to have disappeared. I found a discarded skin by the roadside near Mold around the same time. The FC confirm roe in Coed y Brenin but have a shoot on sight policy in North Wales.

The information on the website appears to be correct to me on first reading.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    The FC confirm roe in Coed y Brenin but have a shoot on sight policy in North Wales.

I am not sure how this shoot on sight policy for a native species complies with their obligations under "The Biodiversity Duty"

No.8 "Conserving Biodiversity includes restoring and enhancing species populations and habitats as well as protecting them"

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I am not sure how this shoot on sight policy for a native species complies with their obligations under "The Biodiversity Duty"

No.8 "Conserving Biodiversity includes restoring and enhancing species populations and habitats as well as protecting them"

atb Tim
    You might be right, I asked a Freedom of Information question last year about the FC management of the deer in the Forest if Dean area (this extends into Wales) and the answer was that they were "carefully managing" the roe, but not shooting on sight, muntjac were shot on sight, reds were not shot at all, and fallow and boar were culled in normal numbers. The numbers of roe culled were quite small in the context of the probable population.

Certainly prior to asking the question they were trying to keep roe out of North Wales but maybe they've eased up on them.

i have re-asked the question on a whole of Wales basis, let's see what comes back.
    Last edited by paul k; 18-08-2014 at 08:16.

Thank you Paul, some good info there. Shame about the FC and some of their policies. Would be great to see deer spread abit more throughout Wales.

Jay

There was definitely roe down Oakenholt way as 2 were shot on the land I shoot pigeons on that was roughly 5/6 yrs ago, but having lamped foxes a lot around there at night I have seen none since.

Scoby 270

There was a thread on here last year of a sika stag being seen/then shot in the Craven Arms/Ludlow area so not far from mid wales.

D

Quote Originally Posted by scoby270 View Post
    There was definitely roe down Oakenholt way as 2 were shot on the land I shoot pigeons on that was roughly 5/6 yrs ago, but having lamped foxes a lot around there at night I have seen none since.

Scoby 270
    It's a shame they couldn't get established as, like with most of Wales, the area is perfect for roe. They just need to be left alone for a couple of years.

Last summer there was a Roe seen running across Henlle Park golf course. No news of where it went after that. Earlier that summer a friend of mine spotted ''A Deer'' in one of his fields probably 2 miles west of the golf course. This is all just north of Oswestry. All borders stuff but again, perfect for Roe.