Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puma knife from village show...

Thumbs up Puma knife from village show...

So, I had a couple of weeks off work with my daughter and we had a great time prowling around and generally getting up to mischief as only a 7 year old, dad and dog can

We went to a small village show part way through our break and one stall had some old tools and whatnot in an old tool chest. Something caught my eye, a brief haggle over the asking price ensued, and I left with this for a fiver:

Looks like some clown had been hammering it into something:

So the handle needs replacing - I may get away with removing the stag, glueing it up to prevent ay further cracking, and reinstalling the original slabs, but I doubt it - the tip needs to be re-established and the leather, aside from being very bloodstained could do with a good feed from some leather conditioner.

As a project I think it ought to make something decent - my late uncle had one of these, and one of Puma's White Hunter knives (I must find out what happened to them) and I remember it took a wicked edge but the shape means you have to adopt a different approach. Very handy once you get the knack, but a bit tricky at first.

Anyhoo, it just got me wondering whether anyone else has scored any gems at the smaller shows.

With a little work this ought to make a decent knife to last many years to come

Over to you

I would be reluctant to remove those scales as it would be difficult to re-rivet them in the same style. Maybe force some epoxy into any gaps then gently refinish? As for the tip, thats a job for Ian the Longstrider. Top bloke and expert knife sharpener and refurber. I have his number but not sure if I'll be able to find it easily.

file the butt of the knife down a bit to remove the burrs that are pushing the scales out and they may come back in by themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    I would be reluctant to remove those scales as it would be difficult to re-rivet them in the same style. Maybe force some epoxy into any gaps then gently refinish? As for the tip, thats a job for Ian the Longstrider. Top bloke and expert knife sharpener and refurber. I have his number but not sure if I'll be able to find it easily.
    Don't worry about it, thanks anyway - I am geared up for knives

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    file the butt of the knife down a bit to remove the burrs that are pushing the scales out and they may come back in by themselves
    I was going to try skimming a couple of mm off to see if that might happen - stag scales are funny though, and once they move they tend to retain some set

Either way it will be a nice project to tinker with

Do you think it's a genuine puma, the lanyard hole seems to be in the wrong place. Hope I am wrong as it would be a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Do you think it's a genuine puma, the lanyard hole seems to be in the wrong place. Hope I am wrong as it would be a good buy.
    Good call Taff, it would appear the puma skinner (mod. 6393) lanyard hole is below the end stud. !
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Does the "Puma" have a serial number on the face of the hilt like this one? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/93-Puma-S...item19f22d7eec

Or perhaps you have found a rare early model where the lanyard hole was placed above the third rivet thus allowing the scales to come away as they have on your knife, and they moved the rivets on later models?
    It could be like Del Trotter's pocket watch and worth a fortune.
    Last edited by 8x57; 19-08-2014 at 06:00.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

If anyone is interested, google 'Puma Knife Man'.

Apologies for the rubbish picture - I will try and take a better one in decent light this evening:

There is no serial on the face of the hilt - it has what looks to be #356 etched onto the blade.

This isn't just wishful thinking speaking, but I think it's genuine.

On the copies I have never seen decent stag used (often it's plastic mouldings), the rivets look just like other originals, some of the copies have a different blade profile, deeper and often with more belly and more of an upsweep at the front.

There is a 'made in Germany' or words to that effect stamp on the rear of the sheath - I will confirm when I am back home with the knife at hand rather than going off a hazy memory.

The 'eye brand' mark and the 'diamond' at each side of the word SKINNER are either too close for comfort, making it real, or too much detail mashed up together, making it fake.

I'm thinking it's real.

Better pictures to follow...

Sorry to say this but I don't think it is a Puma. I think it is a http://carl-schlieper.de/ Skinner model. Perhaps if you email the company with a photograph they will be able to tell you more about your knife, who knows it may after all be more collectable than a Puma.
    Last edited by 8x57; 19-08-2014 at 08:41.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.