Thread: Vanguard Platinum 10x40 - insufficient right eye adjustment ?

Question Vanguard Platinum 10x40 - insufficient right eye adjustment ?

OK, on this thread For Sale: cheap vanguard platinum 10x40's on eBay an opportunity cropped up for a decent spare set of bins.

I duly bidded in the last couple of seconds and won the auction.

So far, so good, however, I am always a bit windy of items until they arrive and are tested OK.

So, the central focus adjustment brings the left side into pin sharp clarity at all ranges - pretty impressive to look through if I'm honest.

The right side adjustment starts to come into focus on the last dregs of the negative and then simply runs out of further adjustment, and remains slightly out of focus.

So, given that I bought them as binoculars and not a monocular do I take it up with the seller or is there a method of having the adjustment adjusted to allow further adjustment, if you know what I mean...

Thanks for looking.

Sounds like something is out of whack. But there's one thing you could try.

When you focus the left tube using the central focus knob, there are two positions of note: the point at which your eyes first have enough accommodation to finish focusing, and the point at which you eyes last have enough accommodation to finish focusing. That is, if you eyes have 0.25 diopters of accomodation, and the focus spot is at 1, then it will appear to you to be focused between 0.875 and 1.125.

Now, depending on which way you approached focus when you did the left tube, you're either at 0.875 or 1.125. It's possible that approaching from the other direction would allow both tubes to focus. (It's also possible you're already approaching from the most advantageous side, and approaching from the other will just make it worse. It's also possible you're an aged git like me, and you've little or no natural accommodation left and it won't make any difference. But it's something to try....)

Cheers,
    Jeff.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - I really appreciate it.

I've twiddled and fiddled and no matter what combination I use I just don't have sufficient negative adjustment on the right eye to bring both into focus.

I can bring the right side in by moving the central focus from approx 12 o'clock back to 11 o'clock, which obviously knocks the left side out, but at least proves the point that the right side can be focused in...

More tomorrow when I get the time to faff - I'm off the get the rimfire out and get after some rabbits

has the centre adjuster been removed and refitted?

I serviced a pair of minox that had the knob pulled off to tighten the barrel and in doing so they had lost the thread point meaning that one eye had reduced range of adjustment

depending on the position of the right adjuster when the central one is refitted can dictate what range it has

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    has the centre adjuster been removed and refitted?

I serviced a pair of minox that had the knob pulled off to tighten the barrel and in doing so they had lost the thread point meaning that one eye had reduced range of adjustment

depending on the position of the right adjuster when the central one is refitted can dictate what range it has
    I wouldn't know how to tell - does it just pull off or do I need some sort of extractor ?

Quote Originally Posted by .30-06 View Post
    I wouldn't know how to tell - does it just pull off or do I need some sort of extractor ?
    IIRC it has a rubber cover and then there may be a screw or the cover (or whole adjuster) may just pull off

Rubber blanking plate at the top, circlip then two washers removed and the adjuster screw off.

There is a central round rod and two thinner ones, one each side of the central one. The two outer rods have a screw head on them.

Now that I got that far, I have precisely no clue what happens next

when you adjust the central knob the two thinner ones should rise and fall with the adjustment
    what position are they in when you run out of range on the right hand eye? up or down?

There doesn't seem to be a way of visually confirming your question, but the last time I tried focusing on the side of my neighbours barn about 80 yards away, I would say they were down because when I pulled the centre focus adjuster off I could see the two thin side rods sliding up with it for quite some distance, relatively speaking.

Huge thanks and much "we're not worthy" to bewsher500

I cheekily PM'd him and the information he supplied lead to me finding a solution to the lack of adjustment on the right eye on these bins.

Props where deserved, thank you very much sir for leading me down the right path.

For the curious among you, with the central focus wheel removed this is what we are greeted with:

At the lowest travel the two side rods on each side of the central one are of equal height.

Ah, but, when they are pulled as far out as they will go, the right side was a good quarter inch (in real money) lower than the left. You need to apply some upward pressure while unscrewing it to adjust, which I did. First attempt was an improvement, but not quite there. Second attempt was bang on.

Bins well and truly fettled, sorted, and otherwise operational, thanks to bewsher500

I hope I can 'pay it forward' and help someone in like fashion.

Thanks again !