Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2506 v 6.5 x47

2506 v 6.5 x47

currently using a 2506 but i,m having bad thoughts about a change, can anyone tell me what advantages if any a 6.5x47 would have over a 2506, thanks

Short action, fantastic brass, low recoil, better choice of bullets but less or no expanding factory ammo.

agree with srvet not to mention the high bc bullets, but it depends if you need or can use the advantages

None if it dont get built right!

i,ve swapped over from 25-06 to 6.5x47l and have no regrets, great calibre. Really accurate, excellent for the longer shot.

It's really a question of what type of rifle you want to own. Good value factory-built rifles will be in established and available calibres like the 25-06 and ammunition will be readily available. If you decide you want a custom build at much greater expense but be able to specify all the components yourself, then you have a free choice of calibres and 6.5x47 would be a good choice.

If Sako, Tikka, Steyr Mannlicher, Remington etc offered 6.5x47 as a factory calibre, then there would be a middle path. It's probably stuck in a Catch 22 situation in the US where the rifle makers won't offer it without factory ammunition, and the ammunition makers won't offer it until there are factory rifles. Plus the competition from the .260 Rem and the 6.5mm Creedmoor, and the fact that it's not a US invention, and it's metric..! Perhaps Lapua should have called it the .260 Valkyrie or something similar.

I rebarreled my t3 from 25.06 to 6.5x47 and have no regrets
    Regards
    Jimmy

I've been debating wether to get my 7 08 rebarreled to 6.5x47 but is there any point with them being so close ?
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

I dont think there is much point unless you need to rebarrel for other reasons. The reason I changed from 25-06 to 6.5-284 was that I had a heavy barrel and wanted to get a sound mod. I didnt fancy the heavy barrel plus mod. Another thing was the shot count on the original barrel was pretty high. It was a long action so could take the 6.5-284 and the 6.5x47 was just being thought about

The 25-06 is a great point and shoot deer killer, at slightly longer than normal stalking ranges (i loved mine, have had 3, and would have one again). The 47 is more of a thinking mans calibre,slightly more loopy, but the higher bc, and better choice of bullets, as well as the inherantly accurate cartridge, allows more precise shot placement at longer ranges. It is also very kind to the carcass of the smaller deer compared to some calibres. A 120gn high
    bc hunting bullet is pretty much perfect for what we have locally. Spec it right and it will be a joy to use and a
    very useful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    I dont think there is much point unless you need to rebarrel for other reasons. The reason I changed from 25-06 to 6.5-284 was that I had a heavy barrel and wanted to get a sound mod. I didnt fancy the heavy barrel plus mod. Another thing was the shot count on the original barrel was pretty high. It was a long action so could take the 6.5-284 and the 6.5x47 was just being thought about
    Thanks for the reply , yeah I see what you mean to be honest it's only done about 500 rounds so no point rebarreling yet but when the time comes I think it will be a 6.5
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions