Thread: Point me in the right direction...

Point me in the right direction...

Morning. So it looks like I might be getting a dog FOC. It's a terrier, they don't walk or train it, it chews, looking for new home.
    Pretty annoyed by the situation since it's a friend of the family.
    That been said, cracking dog.

I've trained dogs before and always work on the theory that a dog designed for it will do it best but any dog smart enough can learn anything
    As an example, there is a Corgi x Lab local that is a half decent sheep dog and a Shi Tzu ratter, all thanks t me

Never trained for deer tracking before. I know the very basics with scent trails etc but I imagine there is more to it.
    Any books, articles or advice anyone wants to recommend?
    Much appreciated

Terrier

I'm no expert but I believe with a deer dog the bond between dog and man is more important than with other sporting working dogs. Getting to know the dog and learning to pick up on its subtle body language (just as it will do with you) is very important. I have had four rescue/rehome dogs now and they've all been great. As for training advice, i'll leave that to the experts!

Cheers Glyn. Yeah I guess that knowing those little signs he gives off are important to tell what he's thinking.

I'd train him the sheepdog stuff first as I find that is always useful and then I was think scent trails but no idea after that.
    Its all up in the air really, the present owner was fine with giving it to the RSPCA but now she knows I'll take him she is thinking about getting her money back a little!