Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humane dispatch garden?

Humane dispatch garden?

Just a quick query ( I hope),
    i have been asked a general query by someone who found an injured deer recently in a domestic garden and I don't quite know the answer.

they asked who they should call in the event of it happening again, I know the olive coordinate HD on highways but not sure if they would so in a domestic garden? If not would you recommend RSPCA (if they can't contact an experienced stalker who can attend)?

I wouldn't faff about with the RSPCA. If they did decide to turn out it often takes them absolute ages to arrive on scene, so hardly humane. Surely anyone with a shotgun and a little knowledge would be a quicker and better option.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I wouldn't faff about with the RSPCA. If they did decide to turn out it often takes them absolute ages to arrive on scene, so hardly humane. Surely anyone with a shotgun and a little knowledge would be a quicker and better option.
    Practically speaking yes, but the guy in question has asked me who to call if I'm not able to come. Also, not sure if most insurances cover for HD unless you're sent to do it by the police (or similar HD scheme)?

The insurance issue will be down to the shooter. Does this guy get a lot of injured deer in his garden that he has to have a back up system in place then, or is he simply a worrier?

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    The insurance issue will be down to the shooter. Does this guy get a lot of injured deer in his garden that he has to have a back up system in place then, or is he simply a worrier?
    He's a worrier, lol.

If he rings the RSPCA they would likely dispatch a private vet to do the work. I've done a couple this way on private property and been paid by the RSPCA.

The last one I did I was there in about 10 minutes of the initial call to the RSPCA - there doesn't have to be an appreciable delay.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

There doesn't have to be Apache but there usually is with the RSPCA in my area and for that matter a lot of South Wales. I know this because I have had numerous interactions with the RSPCA over a number of years where policy was that we had to contact them. To say that their response was disappointing would be an understatement.
    I agree that if a large animal vet was called out by them that the attendance times would generally be much better but the number of practises that deal with large animals in this area isn't that great.

I got called by the police to dispatch a munty in someone's garden in the middle of thetford, I wasn't best pleased that the police didn't attend as I had my concerns, but after checking with the homeowner that I had their consent to use firearms on their property, I duly shot the munty which was badly tangled in wrought iron fencing, albeit using a .22 with moderator, I doubt I'd have gone to the extreme of using anything bigger, and in hindsight I would probably have been better with the .410 but hey.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    I got called by the police to dispatch a munty in someone's garden in the middle of thetford, I wasn't best pleased that the police didn't attend as I had my concerns, but after checking with the homeowner that I had their consent to use firearms on their property, I duly shot the munty which was badly tangled in wrought iron fencing, albeit using a .22 with moderator, I doubt I'd have gone to the extreme of using anything bigger, and in hindsight I would probably have been better with the .410 but hey.
    I've attended 3 Dispaches in gardens. 2 were dog mauled and the third was an RTA which had managed to crawl into a garden. I was called by the police on every occassion. I would recommend you use 101 as apposed to 999.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Just a quick query ( I hope),
    i have been asked a general query by someone who found an injured deer recently in a domestic garden and I don't quite know the answer.

they asked who they should call in the event of it happening again, I know the olive coordinate HD on highways but not sure if they would so in a domestic garden? If not would you recommend RSPCA (if they can't contact an experienced stalker who can attend)?
    The police are normally a good bet to call,they will then normally contact a dispatcher if they know any on the register or a vet.