Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22LR standard/high velocity

.22LR standard/high velocity

Could anyone recommend a standard velocity or high velocity .22LR round?

I shoot bunnies on a golf course where the average distance is a bit longer than is comfortable with subs, and I can't face the ball ache or expense of getting a .22WMR/.17HMR.

I've tried CCI Velocitor, which are great in terms of trajectory and terminal effect, but don't group in my rifle (CZ455) and have feeding problems.

ANy suggestions very gratefully recieved.

Can you get hold of RWS high velocity to try? These rounds produce the best accuracy of all the rounds that I have ever tried in my CZ 452 but obviously aren't suitable with a moderator so I don't usually use them.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have yet to find a HV .22lr round that works in my Sako's anything like as well as the subsonics

some I tried well are over an inch at 50yds let alone 100yds
    the best I have had were Winchester Laser but not good enough to justify using them all the time.

how far are we talking?

you need a 17M2!

The only HV round I have tried is the Stinger and it was all over the place.
    I would avoid that one.
    It's going back maybe three years but someone on here did a good job of listing various HV ammo in .22 having actually tried them as opposed to just reading about them. I've tried but I can't find the thread.
    I went back to Winchester sub's and use a range finder and a Hawks map scope..good out to 100 yards.
    You probably shoot at night tho so that combo wouldn't work.
    Sorry to say but a .17 is probably the answer ballistically but would the sonic crack on either round not be a problem?.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

I shoot at 100+ yds with subs
    its not the drop at that range its the wind....as usual

Range of c.100-120m.

Realistically do-able with subs. However, I do struggle with range estimation in the dark, so was hoping to give myself a bit more of a margin for error.

Maybe I'll just stick with the subs - I know they group well, and I've learned the trajectory.

Mungo,

RWS or Eley HV work well in my BRNO - it never liked CCI or Winchester of any flavour. I might have a few in the cabinet.

I just picked up a 1000 rounds of 17gr VMax for the .17M2........

name a night and you can have a plink to see what the .22HV should have been

1/2" groups
    flat out to a 100yd zero
    4" drop 100-150yds

doesnt disembowel them on site

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Range of c.100-120m.

Realistically do-able with subs. However, I do struggle with range estimation in the dark, so was hoping to give myself a bit more of a margin for error.

Maybe I'll just stick with the subs - I know they group well, and I've learned the trajectory.
    CCI Mini Mag is a pretty standard 'go-to' when I want field performance. I prefer Aguiia High Velocity for pure accuracy but they are almost impossible to get here and not available in the UK. The CCI's will group an inch or better at 100 from my Brno and CZ rifles. ~Muir

SD Regular
    I found that RWS HP were the most accurate and that the most destructive and ensured that the rabbit didn't run on (and with an acceptable accuracy) were Remington Yellow Jacket HP. This was some twenty years ago so I don't know if Yellow Jacket are still available.