.22LR standard/high velocity

Mungo

Could anyone recommend a standard velocity or high velocity .22LR round?

I shoot bunnies on a golf course where the average distance is a bit longer than is comfortable with subs, and I can't face the ball ache or expense of getting a .22WMR/.17HMR.

I've tried CCI Velocitor, which are great in terms of trajectory and terminal effect, but don't group in my rifle (CZ455) and have feeding problems.

ANy suggestions very gratefully recieved.

Can you get hold of RWS high velocity to try? These rounds produce the best accuracy of all the rounds that I have ever tried in my CZ 452 but obviously aren't suitable with a moderator so I don't usually use them.

I have yet to find a HV .22lr round that works in my Sako's anything like as well as the subsonics

some I tried well are over an inch at 50yds let alone 100yds
the best I have had were Winchester Laser but not good enough to justify using them all the time.

how far are we talking?

you need a 17M2!

The only HV round I have tried is the Stinger and it was all over the place.
I would avoid that one.
It's going back maybe three years but someone on here did a good job of listing various HV ammo in .22 having actually tried them as opposed to just reading about them. I've tried but I can't find the thread.
I went back to Winchester sub's and use a range finder and a Hawks map scope..good out to 100 yards.
You probably shoot at night tho so that combo wouldn't work.
Sorry to say but a .17 is probably the answer ballistically but would the sonic crack on either round not be a problem?.

Range of c.100-120m.

Realistically do-able with subs. However, I do struggle with range estimation in the dark, so was hoping to give myself a bit more of a margin for error.

Maybe I'll just stick with the subs - I know they group well, and I've learned the trajectory.

Mungo,

RWS or Eley HV work well in my BRNO - it never liked CCI or Winchester of any flavour. I might have a few in the cabinet.

I just picked up a 1000 rounds of 17gr VMax for the .17M2........

name a night and you can have a plink to see what the .22HV should have been :D

1/2" groups
flat out to a 100yd zero
4" drop 100-150yds

doesnt disembowel them on site

Range of c.100-120m.

Realistically do-able with subs. However, I do struggle with range estimation in the dark, so was hoping to give myself a bit more of a margin for error.

Maybe I'll just stick with the subs - I know they group well, and I've learned the trajectory.

CCI Mini Mag is a pretty standard 'go-to' when I want field performance. I prefer Aguiia High Velocity for pure accuracy but they are almost impossible to get here and not available in the UK. The CCI's will group an inch or better at 100 from my Brno and CZ rifles. ~Muir

I found that RWS HP were the most accurate and that the most destructive and ensured that the rabbit didn't run on (and with an acceptable accuracy) were Remington Yellow Jacket HP. This was some twenty years ago so I don't know if Yellow Jacket are still available.

Lapua Speed Ace group nice & tight in my two Walther rifles & also in the BSA Martini. - Not hollow point but still kill well if you put them in the right place. They are still going fast enough to expand a bit when hitting bunny in the head/neck at 100+ yards.

Ian

If you are having to shoot at 100+ at night then its a rethink, sounds like you are in need of a different set up. Pro drone might be a bit of an overkill, however pm suffolk fallow and he will tell you the name/type of a digital system which is ideal for bunnies( i have used it but for life of me cannot remember its name). I could shoot bunnies all day at 100yds with my annie as its 2 mil dots and spot on with eley subs but at night???. Also why don't you use LR bins to assist you. In my limited experience non sub .22lr are not worth using as too inaccurate esp if your looking at Head shooting your rabbits. Also too noisey so defeats the object.

D

D

"In my limited experience non sub .22lr are not worth using as too inaccurate esp if your looking at Head shooting your rabbits. Also too noisey so defeats the object."

Don't disagree about the noise issue but RWS high velocity are superbly accurate in my CZ but that's only my rifle and not yours.

Cyres
The OP mentions that he is not happy with his ability at long range with low velocity ammo - That's why I pointed him towards a good high velocity option. I wasn't advocating HV ammo as "better" than subsonics.
Just because you haven't found an accurate HV option & as you say you are limited in experience, doesn't mean one doesn't exist and it isn't a good solution for the OP.

Personally I prefer to use RWS Subsonics for bunny bashing & get fine accuracy with them. I've learned the drop & they are quiet. - But that's just me.

Ian

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I'll emphasise that the key problem is that I struggle with range estimation in the dark. In daylight, I have no problem shooting at these ranges with subs. But as the days get shorter (and imminently very short indeed), I need to be able to shoot at night.

I have trialled CCI Velocitor, and as I say, the trajectory and terminal effect is just about perfect, but they don't group at all in my rifle.

I have not noticed a problem with noise (and the Velocitors are NOISY) - the bunnies seem no more or less likely to bolt after a shot than they do with subs. I find the 'thwack' of one of their friends getting hit by a sub is enough to send most running anyway.

This is only really a problem on one golf course, which is more open than most, has wider fairways, and has more skittish bunnies. Otherwise, 50-70 yards is all I need, and I have no problem with that.

And I REALLY can't afford new gear, of any kind - miniMungo on the way.

You would like Aguila "Interceptor" ammunition. It has a 40 gain HP bullet at a listed 1470 but all the rounds I chronographed ran just a touch over 1500 fps. Accuracy is a smidge over MOA at 100 and it kills rabbits and such with astonishing authority. Aguila also makes it's "Super Maximum" round which has a 30 grain bullet at 1730 fps. I have a few rifles that shoot it well enough for vermin at 50M but with most it's like shotgun patterns. When you do connect, however, it makes quite a splash.

I have always wanted to try Speed Ace but it is almost impossible to get here.~Muir

Back