Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When does it become humane dispatch

When does it become humane dispatch

Ok be gentle as this is a genuine (stupid) question?

when does shooting a deer (or other animal) become humane dispatch as opposed to stalking etc?

This is from a curious and legal stand point as some people have rifles conditioned for HD and others don't so is there a legal definition when shooting an animal is HD and not just stalking and seeing an animal that is suffering and requires culling?

I'd guess that it depends on why you are there with a rifle in the first place. If you're there to stalk and come across an injured or ailing deer and shoot it then I'd say it's stalking. If you go out with your rifle to shoot a specific injured or ailing deer then that's humane dispatch?

SD Regular
    No such thing as a stupid question. And this is actually a very good one. It will be interesting to see a proper definition.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

What does your FAC state? Mine said for the lawful shooting of deer. Therefore it doesn't matter whether that is in a stalking capacity or HD capacity. It now just says 'all lawful quarry'.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    No such thing as a stupid question. And this is actually a very good one. It will be interesting to see a proper definition.
    +1,your quite right although I fear that a "proper definition" could take a lot of time and money through our law courts before you get what your after........ie what Apache says with a dusting of common sense is what i feel we should all rely on in the mean time......

Good point Apache, I was thinking more of someone with a .22 out after rabbits and finds a deer tangled in a fence or alive but incapacitated and dispatches it. I can see someone who has a .22 conditioned for HD being ok and quite clearly it is HD if they were to respond to a call to dispatch something but I was unsure if there was an actual legal definition.

More so the people who respond to an RTC would be there for HD and would need appropriate insurance and conditioned FAC but what about the shooter who comes across one and wants to help out with his .22? Would he be in breach/trouble as he isn't conditioned and wasn't intending to HD an animal or would they be ok under animal welfare laws?

SD Regular
    Agreed - but presumably humane dispatch covers what might otherwise be considered not lawful - deer out of season, calibre, location etc (so less than 50ft from road centre et al, plus permissions etc?) - the question of 'so what is the difference' is interesting and potentially important. I suspect humane dispatch as a condition refers to the lawful slaughter of other animals, rather than deer specifically - as has been suggested, normal conditions cover most circumstances.

Re: nun_hunters post while I was writing mine - doesn't the Deer Act say dispatch for humane reasons is lawful using any calibre(/means available) - for that reason?
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 19-08-2014 at 16:19.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Good point Apache, I was thinking more of someone with a .22 out after rabbits and finds a deer tangled in a fence or alive but incapacitated and dispatches it. I can see someone who has a .22 conditioned for HD being ok and quite clearly it is HD if they were to respond to a call to dispatch something but I was unsure if there was an actual legal definition.

More so the people who respond to an RTC would be there for HD and would need appropriate insurance and conditioned FAC but what about the shooter who comes across one and wants to help out with his .22? Would he be in breach/trouble as he isn't conditioned and wasn't intending to HD an animal or would they be ok under animal welfare laws?

Animal welfare would over rule all else and as long as you despatched the animal humanely(limiting suffering,ie a single shot) and not a number of long range body shots prolonging/increasing suffering..............that would be fine...

I always understood Humane dispatch to be a limiting condition ie for a .357 etc to used "only" for HD...........not for say a deer legal caliber to be used "also" for HD.....hope that makes sense????

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    I always understood Humane dispatch to be a limiting condition ie for a .357 etc to used "only" for HD...........not for say a deer legal caliber to be used "also" for HD.....hope that makes sense????
    It does Martin - and that may well be true of a section 5 firearm, like the 357, which tends to be issued solely for HD - whereas a rifle would need 'also' - would you want a rifle solely for HD?.

My certificate just states that the firearms and ammunition to which the certificate relates can also be used for humane slaughter of sick or injured animals - so a nice cover all.